What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cpu fan

I've seen somewhere in this section about a CPU fan used for air circulation inside a terrarium, but the plugs for those certainly aren't compatible with walls plugs.  So I'm assuming there is some sort of adaptor for this?  How can you do this?  (Besides growing your plants inside a computer?)

yeah you can get an adaptor. you can also find small fans at places like thrift stores and yard sales. i got my small fan at a thrift store when i was donating old stuff and it works great! no adaptor needed.

I use my gba battery charger and a cable for my cpu fan for my incubator.

Yes most cpu fans run off of DC power and the power that you get from a standard wall plug is AC. So you need a AC-DC adaptor like those used to power cell phones or most rechargeable batteries. I just used old adaptors for devices that I no longer use. You just cut off the end that would go into the device which should reveal 2 separate wires a positive (red) and a negative (black). Strip the wires to reveal the bare copper then just twist the bare leads to the bare leads from the fan and wrap with some electricains tape and you are set. You can also purchase and AC-DC adaptor if you dont have an old one from Radioshack.

Both the fans and adapters area available for reasonable prices at Radio Shack.

Capslock

Don`t use anything higher then 6volts Ime they`ll fry if you do!
smile_h_32.gif

if you dont want to try using an ac adapter, you can run it off of batteries. cut off the extra wires until you have the red and black (positive and negative)  left.
on the fan it should tell you what the voltage rating is on it. most of them run at about 12v. a 9v battery should work just fine for that, and you can get the little clips that they attach to at raido shack. the only problem is that they can use up the life pretty fast. so whatever works best for you.
but if you add extra wire make sure it can handle the voltage. or it will burn off the insulation and make a nice orange glow and possibly give the local fire department something to do.( i know this from experience when i almost set my model hovercraft on fire) so what ever you do BE CAREFEL and check your voltages.

Oh right. I was wondering since the AC/DC adaptor had a plug that would fit most gadgets (discman and such), but everything CPU have their own kind of squarish plugs which are not compatible at all (unless you can fit a square in a round hole and vice-versa). ^_^

Thank you guys! Was great help.
I'll tell you if anything explodes. =D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Aug. 17 2004,12:10)]CPU fans are really weak
confused.gif
, how big is the tank?
Not the aftermarket ones.  If I turn mine up it makes more noise than my car
biggrin.gif

Alot of those computer mods are pretty cool

Frozen CPU

I don't mind if mine are weak, I don't want the plants to try survive a hurricane in my terrarium, just a little air circulation is fine for me. Yes, CHECK YOUR VOLTAGES. I assume you do not want to experience the same exploding fan situation I did when I ignorantly pluged an unknown voltage fan into the mains. Five seconds later it had given off a burning smell. Another five seconds later (just when I was wondering what the heck the smell was and wondering if this could be dangerous), the fan produced a spark 'bout the size of my head, next to my head. Phew, good thing I still have it here, but I don't want anyone to experience the same situation, or neither do I want to see headless cpers. Everyone would blame the plants you see...
smile_m_32.gif

Lol, don't worry, I'll pay attention that my fan requires the same amount of voltage my adaptor outputs. ^_^

It's a 27 gallons tank (30x12x18), so will a 12v fan do?
(how do you know if it's a "aftermarket" fan?)

haha.. i took one of those small honeywell fans. the CFM on average about 2,000 CFM. Before i installed it i used to get condensation on the glass, now i dont. the fan blade is about 7 inch in diameter and its right in the middle of the tank. The leave's sway a little but the air dispersed by the time it gets down to the plants. its installed on the top, pointing down. It feels like a moderate breeze. The plants seem to love it.
smile.gif

Well I have another question then, the voltage is important, but what about amperes (mA)? Is it an issue as well?

Yeah it is, think of voltage as how fast something is coming at you, and now think of an mA as how much force whatever is coming at you has. An mA is how strong that driving force will be, the fan will probably be faster the more mA's it has.

So, if the mA output is too strong, it could be hazardous? Or is it just a good thing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So, if the mA output is too strong, it could be hazardous? Or is it just a good thing?

Well, besides the plants looking very poor and windblown from being blown round the growspace, the fan could unscrew. I don't want to take any chance, anything excessive can be potentially dangerous.

lol nice analogy Amateur_Expert!
laugh.gif

Well, that didn't work...

I bought a 10 cm CPU fan (120 V AC, 22 W) and cut an old, regular plug to fit the fan's two wires with. Plugged it in the wall. I was expecting that it would : 1) do fine or 2) explode.
Nothing happened! Nothing!

So now what gives? Is the fan broken? Or is it a problem with the fan's wires (both have a black covering and are not made of copper, they have a mettalic grey color instead.)

What do I do now?

(and how come so many CPU fans have three wires, red, black and yellow?)

both wires are black? hmm sounds like you might be using a wrong wire, does it have anymore besisdes those two?

don't worry about the color of the metal, many wires are made out of that grew color, most likely because the company was cheap and didn't want to spend money on copper.

the yellow wire i believe has something to do with the computer. it might be for grounding because static and computers don't mix. i'm not the expert on the fan, but i do know that it is not needed to run fan.

Back