What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yea, need help again

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date

lol

BANNED
Ok.  Went to home depot an bought two of theese 65 watt cf floodlight kits for $20 each.  It's from Flourex and Lights of America I guess, and it includes the fixture, 65 watt bulb, but no power cord.  Only theese two wires designed for a circuit breaker or something.  How can I get this thing to the point where I can use it in my house outlet?  will it cost a lot?  Also, I looked at the lumens output on the box, and they have two things; a photopic lumens output of 70 per watt, and a brigtness lumens output of 137 per watt.  Which one should I be going by for plant growth?  About how many 4' flourecent tubes are one of theese lights equivilent to?  Thanks a lot.

Anybody?

lol,
Most hardware stores sell cords with a plug at one end, and bare wires at the other. Hooking them up is easy with some caps and electrical tape. That's all you have to do.

These lights are, if memory serves, each about the equivalent of four 40" tubes, but are much smaller, so the intensity of light right under them is higher than any spot under tubes.

Capslock

Caps is right, all you need to do is attach a cord to the wires and wrap in electrical tape or the cone things. Just make sure no wire is exposed after connecting, otherwise if part of a wire touches something it may damage the ballast, light and/or whatever its touching as well as you if the object conducts.

Joe

Oh, ok thanks. Theese things should really help my setup:D !

Jeese, I think I almost killed myself yesturday.  I tried cutting an extra power cord I had, spliting it down the middle, and then wrapped the two wire cords around the two posotive and negative cords on the light.  The two iron wires were posotive and negative as well, so I connected them correspondingly.  So, I had the power cord and the light connected with nothing covering the wires where they met, and I pluged it into the socket, and There was a spark, a flash, a loud pop, and my nearby phone permanently lost it's phone connection somehow.  So... what did I do wrong EXACTLY?

uh hmm well there should only be 2 wires.. one white one black. There is no positive and negative with AC current. Black is hot and white is neutral.
One side of the lamp cord goes to the black wire in the unit and the other side goes to the white wire. Check the plug and see if one spade is wider than the other. If it is (and I recall correctly) the wide spade is neutral and the narrower spade is hot. IF there is a green cord inside the unit this would be ground.

As for the sparking popping etc.. perhaps you wired it wrong. Or the wires were touching when you plugged it in. Always use wire nuts on each connection and wrap with electrical tape tightly.

My suggestion would be go to HD or Lowes and show them the light unit. Then talk to the guy in electrical and ask him exacly what you need in parts and how to do the connections.

OK, I got it to work with some two pronged plugs I got from K-mart, made for the kind of thing I need (yea, im no electrician). So anyway, all is good. But, I have this digital timer that I'm using, and it sais it has a 500 watt limit. Well now, It's about 40 watts over the limit, but everythings seems ok. Will the timer end up breaking if I keep it like this?

I don't suggest going over the limit, its never good to overdo things.

Back