What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

Alas, it will soon be time to be thinking of moving the plants inside for winter here in NC. I have both floresecent and metal halide setups that I currently use for my other plants, mostly orchids. I kinda of figured its not practical to put pitcher plants under the flourescents so how far away from the 400W HID should they be? As for the others, sundews bladderworts and flytraps under the florescents my understanding is to put them as close as practical?
Does all this sound like I am on the right track?
Many thanks!

Why are you putting flytraps and pitcherplants indoors in North Carolina?

I just figured they wouldn't be tolerant of heavy frosts/freezes. Otherwise, just so I can enjoy them year round.

They may die if you skip there dormancy too many times. Don't plant on letting them flower. Or they WILL die.

Leave them outside!! They'll go dormant like they should, and be much better off come spring.

Capslock

If they are in pots, you should protect them outside somewhat, so that the roots don't freeze, but they should be allowed to get cold! Rememeber that the natural range extends into Virginia (except S. purpurea purpurea, which lives in Canada).

Inside temperatures are too high to allow dormancy for the temperate species, but if any of the sundews or Utricularia are tropical species, they SHOULD be brought inside or they will die.

Back