What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental bog garden pics

On a spur of the moment I put together a miniature bog garden with some extra bricks I found, extra pond liner I had and what was left of my peat moss. All in all it took me about an hour to build. I am basically just trying to sacrifice a couple of my plants to see if they will survive the winter through mulching/being covered with a tarp. The plants I have in there are 2 S. purps ssp venosa 1 s. Rubra ssp Rubra and 2 Red Dragon VFT's. Overall I think it's a nifty little creation for so little work. If most the plants survive then I plan on building a hole row of bogs to partition off the back half of the yard ( to keep my dogs from destroying all my moms plants) so what do you think?
Bog1.jpg

Bog2.jpg
On subsequent bogs I hope to find a better way to hide the pond liner. Just wait till you see my idea for a Darlingtonia bog... it'll have water works.

Oh there is also an unidentified Sarracenia hybrid in the middle. I personally believe it to be a (purpurea x flava) x flava

I would mulch it well for the Winter(when it starts getting cols). I think you would have been better off with S. purpurea purpurea, as it is the Northern pitcher plant. The hybrid might do well(hybrid vigor and all).
Anyway, good luck and keep us posted, as I have been pondering this for a long time.

Cheers,

Joe

cool im about to make an eight foot by ten foot bog (i know its kinda large)over the fall break

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 15 2004,10:07)]I would mulch it well for the Winter(when it starts getting cols). I think you would have been better off with S. purpurea purpurea, as it is the Northern pitcher plant. The hybrid might do well(hybrid vigor and all).
 Anyway, good luck and keep us posted, as I have been pondering this for a long time.

Cheers,

Joe
Oh I know S. P. ssp P. would have done infinately better but I have two problems with that though.
1. I don'e have the plant in question
2. I am broke
So I decided to use what plants I had. They should do alright though as I'll surround it with a bail of straw, maple leaves, and a tarp. But here in Ohio we don't get severe cold till mid January. Up until then it rarely dips down past the twenties. Almost every year where I live we get rain on x-mas as opposed to snow. So I have a bit of time to make arrangements for my plants.

where does it drain. or is there no drainage.

There is no drainage as we can go weeks without rain in the summer. I figure between being flooded and drying out it will balance itself out. Besides the only plants in there that would be overly bothered by constant flooding would be the red dragon vfts. I'm thinking about removing them when I get home so it will be a pure sarracenia garden.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Sep. 15 2004,8:28)]But here in Ohio
hey! you're in ohio? did you know that there are several terraforum members also in ohio?

tech...
west of akron

Very good idea! I plan on doing something similar next spring. As for living through the winter, you shouldn't have any trouble with pretty much any sars or vfts. I live in Zone 5, and we had a REALLY cold winter (for the area...though -35 is cold no matter who you talk to), and the window boxes I sank into the ground and mulched with 3" of reptile bedding (not recommended, but it was all I had, lol) made it through just fine. Only two died (out of 15 or so plants), and one of those was not doing well to begin with anyway.

won't squirrels get to 'em there? I thought you lived in an apartment....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 15 2004,12:36)]won't squirrels get to 'em there? I thought you lived in an apartment....
I have two dogs that enjoy killing birds/chasing squirrels in my back yard thus leaving my hands clean
smile_m_32.gif
Besides the squirrels are mostly a pain on the plants in my front yard/near my fence/close lines etc. Basically the squirrels only attack anything near an exit those conniving little... nevermind. *Anyways experimental bog garden update*

Ok I forgot to mulch my plants and we have had an unusually cold December with temperatures down to 1*F. and we have had a little snow. The plants though are looking great so far. I mean they look firm and green. The purps look cute with their pitchers filled with snow. However today I wadded some old car canvas around the plants for insolation and then covered it with a tarp they should be alright. Allthough oddly enough I am more worried about my plants that I didn't put in my bog garden as while I was at school the tub they were in was filled up to the top submerging the plants completely... and then we got the cold weather which = plantcicles. Basically the pitchers on all my pitchers/sars died back however the Rhizomes are still firm and white so they look fine. The VFTs died back a little. One of the pots got tipped over and was completely submerged in water under the ice and oddly enough it looks the healthiest.... NO word on how my Sundews are doing. Anyways I brought the tub inside chipped the plants out The put them in a big storage bin filled halfway up with water and hauled them into my garage for the winter. I hope to fill the container the rest of the way to submerge all my plants for the winter. But yeah everything is looking great so far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 11 2004,4:41)]Very good idea!  I plan on doing something similar next spring.  As for living through the winter, you shouldn't have any trouble with pretty much any sars or vfts.  I live in Zone 5, and we had a REALLY cold winter (for the area...though -35 is cold no matter who you talk to), and the window boxes I sank into the ground and mulched with 3" of reptile bedding (not recommended, but it was all I had, lol) made it through just fine.  Only two died (out of 15 or so plants), and one of those was not doing well to begin with anyway.
Wait a minute so your VFTs survived -35* F temperatures with minimul mulching? I am going to have to link this thread into my Plants temperature extremes thread as that is awesome.PLease do tell what other plants you have in your bog as I would find this to be extremely helpful information.

Back