What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My glasshouse

Glad you worked the timeline out there
smile_m_32.gif

As for what form.... No idea. It was not sold as any particular form.

Aaron.

Saw it last year and saw it again this year...just want to say - d@mn nice greenhouse! I want to make one sometime so am looking for inspiration as well as ideas on how to go about doing it.

Very nice! What zone are you in? Dreaming of my own one day but here in zone 5 I'm worried about the electrical bill. My wife's head started spinning almost as fast as the wheel in the power meter when she saw the utility bills after I installed my grow baement room a few years back.

Glenn

Glenn,

Don't know what "zone".  I'm in Melbourne Australia (State of Victoria) and these are the state averages to give you a rough idea:

"Victoria's seasonal climate:
Victoria experiences warm to hot summers, mild autumns, cool to cold winters and cool springs. The climate varies across the state, with the north experiencing much drier and warmer weather than the south."

Summer: December to February
Temperatures: from 21°C to 34°C, average 28°C

Autumn: March to May
Temperatures: from 11°C to 19°C, average 17°C

Winter: June to August
Temperatures: from -1°C to 12°C, average 8°C

Spring: September to November
Temperatures: from 10°C to 20°C, average 17°C

*drool* ooo...

very impressive house and very impressive plants!

What can I say that hasn't been said yet? Paint me Day-Glo yellow with envy!!!

How old are your larger neps (average)? Say, that vining albo; the large-ish veitchiis, and the flowering ventricosa?

cheers,

Hans@hoping my shadehouse may look like this in a year or so...

Hans,

I bought that Green Albo as a non-vining cutting back in Feb 2004. So that vine you see is just over 2 years old. The main growing tip was damaged by heat this summer, so not only has the plant got 3-4 basals now vining, but the main vine now also has bucket loads of side-shoots. Its a very hardy variety of Albo given my conditions are highland for the vast majority of the year (grows fine through the winter months!).

I have about 8 Vents of various forms. The largest you see in the pic is also about 2 years old, but I've actually cut the main vine off at least once in that time.

I think the veitichii you refer to is the one in the hanging basket behind the bright red Sanguinea? That is an Exotica hybrid of - truncata x veitchii 'Batu Buli'. Only in the last few months it has really started to vine and threw a couple of basal shoots. I’ve had it about 2 years as well, but it was a well developed plant when I got it. Very large and hardy but slow growing for me.

Aaron.

Thanks, Aaron!

That gives me hope - here in the coastal hills of Northern Taiwan I have pretty similar conditions to yous, albeit a tad less harsh (only down to 3-4 C on a few days in January). My highlanders don't exactly thrive in January, but they don't stop growing either.

Do you need a heater for your lowlanders in winter?

And with your growing conditions, you definitely need to take a look at this forum, it's for people who grow their neps outside. Unless you're already a member, that is.....

Oh my goodness ~ inspirational ~my tiny traps are growling at me along with baby ventricosa drooling to grow under your glass menagerie.
Fantastic!!
thanks for sharing your pics.

Hans,

I do run a heater in winter to keep the minimum temp in the glasshouse to about 12C.  That seems to be enough to keep the lowlanders happy, though growth is very slow.

Myself and another member of this forum both grow Neps outside here in Melbourne.  I have both Sanguinea and Ventricosa doing just fine even through winter.  Christian has Khasiana, Vent, Maxima, hydrids of and a few other things, all doing very well.

Sang1.jpg

Vent1.jpg

Aaron.

I will probably have to wait for global warming to heat up Michigan a little more before I set up a Nepenthes greenhouse.

Great job with yours, the plants look very happy.

Glenn

Hey Gang,

Its been over a year since I last posted an update of the Nepenthes glasshouse.

It was just over a year ago when I pretty much ran out of space for more pots. So since then I have made few cuttings and have just let everything grow as it pleases. As you can see its geting hard to get in now.........

GH1.jpg

GH2.jpg

GH3.jpg

GH4.jpg

GH5.jpg

GH6.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

AJ

Looks like it's getting cramp, may need a bigger GH.

I never saw you mention the dimentions of your GH? Did you ever get the evaporative cooler for it? How long did you go without it and what did you do to compensate for not having it?

Hey VFT,

GH is about 3.8x2.6meters.

I never got the evaporative cooler going and have not compensated either! In short, the plants simply got tougher. I did loose a few more sensitive plants last year, but it was not from low humidity in the summer. I lost them when I tried to turn off the heater to lower my electricity bill!!!

AJ

:0o: :0o: :hail: Those are some fantastic neps there! Nice glasshouse. I should post pics of my humble polycarb greenhouse eventually.

- Jeff

Back