What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water filter

hey guys,
I am having a water spicot installed in my greenhouse and was trying to see if I could find a filter that could be installed that could make the water pure enough for the CPs. If you have any suggestions or info please let me know

Mike

you can get RO filters on ebay for really cheap. you need a container to hold the water it purifies, and a place for the waste water to go. you can't good the water spout directly to the RO filter because they filter really slowly, BUT they are perfect.

you can get them at home depot, ebay, etc. all you'd need is a 5 GPD model unless you have TONS of plants like some of our fortunate members
biggrin.gif

You can also look into dionizing cartridges.

There are plusses and minuses to both..
RO
+ less expensive for the system and operating cost.
- waste a good portion of water
- the ro water is no longer pressurized. It can be repressurized with a pump etc..
- need holding tank for ro water

DI
+ DI water stays pressurized
+ no large holding tank needed
+ no waste water
- canisters are expensive

In some parts of the country the DI system is actually cheaper when you calculate cost/gallon of good water produced, because the cost of the water in these areas is high enough that your losing alot with all the RO waste water.

Tony

DI? Sounds very interesting! Can you suggest a source or model Tony?
Thanks,
Robin

I would start with the yellow pages in your town. This would be something you would have to do local, as the canisters are heavy and need replacing on a regular basis. Culligan water is national and a good starting point but would be worthwhile to shop around town and get estimates.
Tony

Back