What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium cover material

What material would be best to use for covering up a terrarium?

Plexiglas or just plain glass?
Two factors I’m not sure about:

1) Which one reduces light strength the least? (Because the lights are above the cover)
2) Which material is best isolated. (Which one can keep cooling(/heat) inside the best?)

Thanks.
smile.gif

Light and Heat: For all practical purposes, glass and plastic (acrylic or plexiglass) covers of equivalent thickness and cleanliness transmit equal amount of light, and are similarly opaque to heat. More important for heat retention are a tight cover fit and the presence of humidity (water vapor "stores" heat and is the most abundant greenhouse gas).

Durability: The one big drawback with plastic is that it is much more easily warped by the weight of the lights and by the heat they emit. This is from personal experience with fishtanks!

Advice: If you are using a standard aquarium for a terrarium (as I have done) your best bet is to get pre-made glass covers from a local petstore ($10-30 depending on size). If you're making your own terrarium, I would recommed glass if you want to keep the cover forever, but you could use thicker plexiglass and just replace it when it warps too much. Hope this helps.

The clearer the cover, the more photosynthesis will take place. The thinner the cover the more photosynthesis takes place.

I'd go with glass. Over time a plexiglas cover will droop.

I'm planning on building a terrarium as well, I plan to place the lights on the inside. Since the cover will be over the lights and will have some support in the center, plexiglass would be best right?
No light issues, and should not be any warping issues.
Thanks,
Chris

In my experience, plexiglass warps without additional heat. I've had a single-pane plexiglass cover for a 10 gallon aquarium warp in just a few weeks.

Plexiglass really warps too easily to make a good cover.

Plexiglas may warp, but it won't shatter into a million tiny fragments either.....
smile_l_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

True, but I think extra-careful handling in worth the advantage of no warping. If built with a hinged portion, the cover shouldn't have to be removed that frequently. For my 55 gallon, I just use the two-pane covers sold for use with aquariums.

I would say that is a good investment. I can't quote any literature, but I thought I had read somewhere that glass allows better light through than plexiglass. When I had plexiglass, I used to flip it over every week to try to keep it straight. In the future, when using, i would use a piece bigger than just the right size to fit into the top of the tankIthe little groves they have). I put in in hastily acouple of times and the thing fell through and landed on the plants. Yuck.
I myself use saran wrap alot, lol. It's giant drawback is that it will disintegrate within a year.

Cheers,

Joe

I vote for what I use, exclusively: AIR.

I pay good money for the electricity that the fluorescent lamps use to make light for my plants -- I'm not gonna spend more money for something that will reduce the light my plants receive. Sounds kinda self-defeating.

I'm with the P-man on this one. But I'm also alarmed at the notion of putting lights INSIDE a small terrarium. Wouldn't it bake?

Anyway, I'd use glass, with a substanial opening to provide critical air circulation, and put the lights OUTSIDE.

Capslock

Inside? Who ever said, "inside"?

Whoops, that was traisnpotting (Chris) that asked that:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm planning on building a terrarium as well, I plan to place the lights on the inside. Since the cover will be over the lights and will have some support in the center, plexiglass would be best right?
No light issues, and should not be any warping issues.
Thanks,
Chris

Casplock

Here air is easier to get than humidity
smile_n_32.gif

so I do cover.  I have been trying something that is working incredibly well.  I have turned the tanks on their side (which gets the plants closer to the lights and makes more room for them) and cover the opening with mirror.  The reflective mirror increases the light output by a large margin and it holds the humidity at a higher level.  When I can afford it I will be putting mirror into the back of my grow chambers as well.

Leave an opening for circulation.

I did put lights in my grow chambers. It works well for the most part, but does cause new problems. My chambers are large though, I would never put lights in a terrarium.

**** Trans form California does a modified thing of what Copper is talking about. He glued a piece of plexiglas to the top and then turned the tank on it's side. He also uses capillary mats to water the pots and they dip into a large resevoir of water on the bottom of the modified tank.
Interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Joe

I currently have 2/3rd of my terrarium covered.
I use 2 glas pannels of a photo frame. This glass is extremely thin so it probably won't stop much light.

Problem is; any glass or plexiglass stops some of the light that is important to plants and even some UV. And UV light supresses fungi and bacteria.

Here's a link to the info as concerns greenhouse glazing:
Light Transmission (PAR)

Yes, Copper is right: Humidity is a premium luxory here in Nebraska, not like you Joe , who lives in ....Arizona
smile_l_32.gif

You have a special room(or esignated room) though, don't you, that is almost like having a grow chamber?

Cheers,

Joe

If all else fails and you like the idea of plexiglass and still want a cover, take 4 strips of thin wood and screw them to it.  It will keep it nice and straight.  This is almost 9 months old:

lights_ontop_corner.jpg
LIGHTS_on_plexi.jpg

plexi_screwed_onlid.jpg
Lid_tall.jpg

Do you have holes cut in that for the lights to shine through Ody?
Might be a good idea. ^_^

PinguiculaMan > Yeah I know it stops light but very thin glass won't stop that much does it? I've 232 wattage of fluorescent lighting above it so I doubt that's the limiting factor. Besides if I don't cover it I feel like the ultrasonic mister is running for nothing.
smile.gif

Back