What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog garden advice needed

I just got my hands on a rubbermaid stock tank thingy (50 gallons 52"L x 31"W x 12 inches deep black plastic tub) and am looking to use it for a bog garden. My school has 4 different greenhouse rooms, two tropical, one desert and one that can be set to anything. I would like to set up this bog with east to care for CPs that could be maintained in my absence. Im thinking some basice VFTs, sarcs and some droseras. Can anyone give me advice on setting this up? This tank also has an intake and output tubes which could be hooked up to a filter if needed. I have access to DI water. Basically how would you set this thing up? Its not to big so it could be moved out of the house for dormancy if needed.
Also, where is a good site to get plants for cheap?
rubbermaid.jpg

For cheep plants go for trades with people. Or if you prefer buying go to lee's botanical gardens or cook's carnivorus plants if you are in the US. I do not know much about greenhouses but fill the container with a mix of 1 part sphagnum peat and one part sand. Water until water comes to the top. and plant plants. It helps tremendously to pour boiling water on the sphagnum to allow it to absorb water.

Make sure that the container is deep enough, 18" is okay, but deeper is better.  I added perlite and LFS to my bogs.  I also made a layer effect of mixes, more to a natural state.  If you want the plants to self care then you will need to set up a watering system.  You will need inlet and outlet tubes,  a timer and a pump.  The outlet tube should be near to the top for overflow and to allow soil to be washed.  You can skip this if you like, but then make sure to use rain or DI water.  The inlet and pump should be on a timer to water the bog.  This can be skipped if you know that the bog will be watered on a regular basis.

Back