What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My solution to diminishing growing space. . .

If you have been growing CP's for even a short while, I'm sure you have encountered problems with finding space for all your plants. Every window sill with any amount of fair light is loaded with pots, lights are jam packed with plants under them. What's one to do? One idea I had was to turn a 2.5" ming pot into a MICRO-bog. I put it together with extra plant material and everything is taking off. In such a small pot I have D. capensis, S. flava seedling, P. primuliflora, and a carpet of stolons from U. sandersonii. It puts on quite a show when in flower.

microbog1.jpg

Very nice... I like it. Needs a VFT in there when they wake up.
smile.gif

Dominic,  Great idea and a very nice arrangement.
Might I suggest one of your 'Pirouette' in a dark green pot surrounded by three burmanni.  
cool.gif

Looks great now but won't it be a complete mess when they start to grow?

Looks good,but I think it will be over grown soon.

Jerry

Definitely a good idea... I've got a nice little salt-glazed thing from my ceramic days that I might do that with. I'd imagine it could get overgrown eventually, but all the more reason to propogate, right? :p
~Joe

The D. capensis, S. flava, and U. sandersonii have been growing in this set-up for almost a year, the P. primuliflora for six months. As with any potted arrangement and the fact that many of these plants are still immature, yes they will eventually need to be repotted and/or separated as they outgrow their current home. But, this arrangement saved these plants from certain death: all of these plants were headed for the compost bin as they were "weeded" from other pots. Some people prefer to meticulously label and organize all their pots single file in rows. That's fine. I on the other hand prefer to group plants in more natural settings that compliment the plants. Plain plastic pots serve their purpose but aesthetically are visually boring. I like to break up the monotany every now and again by experimenting.

Ever seen a beautifully landscaped terrarium, ie. planted directly in soil substrate? From a functional stand point it can be a challenge to maintain due to different medium and cultural requirements, but doesn't it please the eye? I am just trying to illustrate that form and function can co-exist together. Endparenthesis, to answer your question, yes a VFT would complete the package, but the fact that the pot is undrained and the water table fluctuats from time to time, the rhizome would likely rot if or when submerged for any length of time.

Thanks for all the comments. I will continue to experiment with other combinations and encourage others to follow suit. Just make sure you have some experience or at the least extras (plants of course!).

Absolutely beautiful, Dominic!!! Do you have a larger, more hi-res picture of this pot, I just NEED this as my desktop wallpaper!!!

thanks!

Hans

Maybe a fishbowl would have been a better idea.
Or a large mixing bowl

I agree that that is going to overgrow, and kill those poor plants from root bounding, and from squishing each other.

I am doing the same thing. It is like flower arrangments. They are very attractive.

Just make sure they don't overgrow each other.

Hey great idea,I was just wondering where you put the pot so it gets light?In the window sill?Or under a light?Cause I love the idea and I want to do the same but my window sills are too narrow to put a nice pot on
smile_h_32.gif
Thanks
smile.gif
*Trapper7*

Being overgrown is better than being in the trash.
smile.gif

Trapper7,

The pot is currently situated 12" under fluorescent lights, however, it will be moved to a windowsill in the near future. In the intro, I stated it was a "MICRO" bog. It is bearly 2" across. I would imagine you would have a windowsill at least that wide.

Endparenthesis- no matter how many plants- "weeds", runts, or the like, I just can't seem to throw any of them out.

Hey, beautiful photo. Very simple and the lighting was what really set off the plants in the photo. I like what you did.  If the plants overgrow, big deal. You can always repot them all into a larger "home".  Very Nice! I never thought of mixing them together in the same pot until I saw your photo and it looks soooooo pleasing to the eye.

It is a lot smarter of a combination that what Lowes does with their cubes - Darlingtonia, with adelae and / or VFT and primuliflora - with different growing and dormancy requirements.

Back