What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss?

• Thread starter tull777
  • Start date
Hello,
I live in the Northwest/Oregon and I was wondering if the local Moss would do well in the Viv???

Be carefull. If it isn't sphagnum, then it could potentially be dangerous to your plants. If you are sure it is sphagnum, then give it an enviornment similar to what it would normally grow in (if possible).

there are mosses that arent sphagnum that do not harm CPs other than maybe over crowding small species. im guessing i have atleat 3 species of moss besides sphagnum growing in my CP pots, none of them intentionally. plus i think i have 2 different species of sphagnum, my Chiliean stuff and another kind. im also guessing the question isnt as to wheither you can grow CPs in the moss tull has locally but wiether the moss will grow in the terrarium. probably as a soil covering im guessing but tull will have to chime in and clarify.

If it is epiphytic moss it should be ok. If it is a terrestrial, crowding moss then I would be weary.

Joe

Hey there Tull - I used to live in Portland (in Olympia now) and I can tell you there are a lot of different mosses around. Check out a copy of Pojar and MacKinnon's Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast from your library. There's instructions in it on how to identify mosses, as well as all the other plants in the book. They're called dichotomous keys, I think, and they're very handy for biology-type stuff. But anyways, you can use those to find Sphagnum moss. As far as I know, all other kinds of mosses are no good for CPs.
Good luck!
~Joe

It is absolutely harmless to your plants and will do very nicely in a terrarium/vivarium.

Joe

Back