Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I live in the Northwest/Oregon and I was wondering if the local Moss would do well in the Viv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be carefull. If it isn't sphagnum, then it could potentially be dangerous to your plants. If you are sure it is sphagnum, then give it an enviornment similar to what it would normally grow in (if possible).
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are mosses that arent sphagnum that do not harm CPs other than maybe over crowding small species. im guessing i have atleat 3 species of moss besides sphagnum growing in my CP pots, none of them intentionally. plus i think i have 2 different species of sphagnum, my Chiliean stuff and another kind. im also guessing the question isnt as to wheither you can grow CPs in the moss tull has locally but wiether the moss will grow in the terrarium. probably as a soil covering im guessing but tull will have to chime in and clarify.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is epiphytic moss it should be ok. If it is a terrestrial, crowding moss then I would be weary.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there Tull - I used to live in Portland (in Olympia now) and I can tell you there are a lot of different mosses around. Check out a copy of Pojar and MacKinnon's Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast from your library. There's instructions in it on how to identify mosses, as well as all the other plants in the book. They're called dichotomous keys, I think, and they're very handy for biology-type stuff. But anyways, you can use those to find Sphagnum moss. As far as I know, all other kinds of mosses are no good for CPs.
    Good luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is absolutely harmless to your plants and will do very nicely in a terrarium/vivarium.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"