Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photoperiods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine are on a 13 hour day, 11 night. dont know why, thats just what i set the timers for when i first got them a year ago. it seems to work well. my Drosera color up nicely and most will flower. my Pings are in more or less continual flower like that of African violets. most of my Utrics(other than a few known slow pokes) are spreading fast, with several species putting out blooms more or less year round and i generally have something new blooming once a month or so. my Nepenthes are growing fine and there leaves and pitchers color up nicely. the orchids i grow amoungst the CPs bloom intermittedly. i guess i use the 13 hour day cause i have seen no reason to change it.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lights are on 15 hours around the year, no problems and great growth+colouration.

Cheers,
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lights for the seedlings, 24/7 on the lights for 2 full years. After that, they live with their parents and settle into normal routine. 24 hr. light does not seem to bother them, and they get huge in just one year. As much as 12 to 14 inches high. Then going into a "normal" living arrangement with dormancy, they mature at 4 to 6 years instead of 5 to 7 years. They have never suffered any ill effects, and grow like weeds. BUG weeds!!!!!!! All sarracenia seedlings!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about that... Hmm... what types of seedlings are you talking about, Bugweed? I'm guessing Sarracenia. Maybe some other temperates? What kind of temperatures do you give those guys if they're under lights? Is that indoors? I've got some Darlingtonia, Drosera and Sarracenia stratifying on my porch, but my porch has kind of lousy light - it's super bright but all from the south and west. I was considering building a lit hutch for them.
    Help me out Bugweed. I must know of your masterful skill.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 15 2005,12:06)]Lights for the seedlings, 24/7 on the lights for 2 full years. After that, they live with their parents and settle into normal routine. 24 hr. light does not seem to bother them, and they get huge in just one year.
    Interesting. Please tell us more about this!
    I always thought that would harm plants.

Cheers,
    Jan

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hell no,
    I 24hr any that aren't blooming. When I want blooms I go to 11 on and 13 off in a seperate room. I try to only bloom in the summer when they are outside, that way they have better blooms in my opinion. I grow much more epi-cactus than anything and grow them in 24hr light then when Feb 1st comes I drop to 11 on and 13 off. Then increase slowly and this sets buds then they by the time its warm enough outside they go there and actually bloom outside. When they come in for Fall/Winter the light goes back up to 24hr and the cycle starts again. I haven't had any problems with 24hr light.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Joe, you mean to say that you drop straight from 24 hours a day to 11 hours a day, and then increase gradually from 11 to get them to bud?
    And I've been meaning to ask you (as I've heard you're the exotic cactus guy) - do you know anything about Jatrophas? In particular I have a J. podagrica that I'm trying to propogate, and I can't find squat for information.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,
    That is correct! I have found no ill effects yet. Though there may be a long term effect that I have yet to encounter.

Jatropha I know is a S. African succulent. The African succulents, I am very UNfamiliar with. I would try www.desert-tropicals.com , but your best bet is to actually buy or borrow a book geared toward them.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast