What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frogs

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Hi Guys!
I was planning on putting some frogs(don't know which kind yet,maybe poison dart frogs,or something small like that)into my CP terrarium.I was wondering if they would be ok in there,or if they would hurt the frogs,or would the frogs hurt them?I have some Sundews(which i know took out,cause I heard that they can hurt the frogs)so now I only have 2 VFT's and a butterwort in there.I know there are a few of you on here who do have frogs or lizards in their terrarium.If I can do this,then do they need water(the frogs i mean,cause I don't want a aquatic frog,maybe a tree frog)and also how can I make sure that the temp is good enough for the frog,but isn't too hot for the plants?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Please feel free to PM me,or answer here if you like
smile.gif
Thank you!*Trapper7*(Niki)

Anybody??*Niki*

A great candadate for the terrarium you are describing would be one of the following

Green Tree Frog
Grey Tree Frog
Barking Tree Frog

These are all native to north american cp habitat
A ventilated tank with florescents is fine for this type of setup.
Just mist the frogs daily-every other day and provide a water bowl.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 15 2005,7:47)]A great candadate for the terrarium you are describing would be one of the following

Green Tree Frog
Grey Tree Frog
Barking Tree Frog

These are all native to north american cp habitat
A ventilated tank with florescents is fine for this type of setup.
Just mist the frogs daily-every other day and provide a water bowl.
Agreed. I wouldn't reccomend dart frogs for beginners, also they are very expensive.

Thanks guys!
cool.gif
Do Tree Frogs climb a lot?I have a 33gallon hexagon tank,and it has no top,so of course I don't want them to crawl out.I guess I could always get a top tho.Yeah I heard that Poison Dart Frogs are expensive,but they're so pretty.But Tree Frogs are pretty cute too:;): Thanks again.*Trapper7*(Niki):laugh:

First of all, you need a lid for your aquarium
confused.gif
Especially when you're putting in plants and frogs. You need the humidity, and the frogs will escape without a cover.

Tree Frog. The name says that it obviously likes to climb (trees). They are excellent climbers. So are most frogs. If they can't climb out, they'll jump out. Here is a pic of one of my dart frogs:
FROG.jpg

I highly doubt a sundew could hurt a frog. If anything, a flytrap would hurt a frog.

Wow nice dart frog
smile.gif
Everybody on this forum is telling me different things about the humidity for my CP's(So don't you shake your head at me,I'm just a newbie listening to you guys,lol
smile_n_32.gif
)Also yeah I know that frogs climb but since I have a tall tank,I wasn't sure if they could climb(or jump)all the way out.I guess I better go look for a top
smile.gif
Thanks for the info guys
smile.gif
*Trapper7*(Niki)

Except for the flytrap thing SunDoode mentioned, the frogs have more chance of hurting the cps you mentioned than vice-versa.
I have a green treefrog in my room, and he(like all tree frogs) can climb glass extremely well.
A really good candidate for a treefrog/cp terrerium is a low growing pitcher plant, like Sarracenia purpurea or a easy Heliamphora. There was a article in "Reptiles" magazine a while back for a treefrog set-up and the picture showed a pot of S. purpurea sitting in the tank.
I have never had Poison dart frogs, so I have no idea if they would climb into a pitcher and not be able to get out like most treefrogs.
Sundoode?

Cheers,

Joe

You might want to check with the folks at Black Jungle, www.blackjungle.com, they specialize in both poison dart frogs and carnivorous plants. They have displays with them in the same terrarium.

Tree frogs for starters. They are around 7 bucks to were a Dart Frog is going to be around 60. Green tree frogs are great, I used to have a colonie of 13. And Barking tree frogs can get quite big. I would go for a grey or green one.

...and a bullfrog is free!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Oh yes forgot those! Bullfrog, Leopard frog, Green frog... All great on-land frogs that can be easily found. Sometimes illegal, because of nativity, but we won't tell. Green frogs can be quite small and have a cool voice.

How about some newts and efts and salamanders, oh my?

Back