What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play sand mix with peat moss?

Can I do this mixture? Im planning on moving my CP's into a 20 gal long tank from a 2 1/2 gal tank. I have a few VFT, D. binata, D. Brevifolia, D. Spat. Currently they all look great. I just wanted to know if I could do this mix. Play Sand with Peat moss. If I can, How much should I use? 50/50?

Spats grow best in pure LFS.

I grew mine in straight peat. They never complained, and grew like crazy. LFS is a much looser medium, and works well too. Experiment, and see what your spats prefer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Mar. 30 2005,8:49)]Spats grow best in pure LFS.
I, for one, don't want them to grow even MORE like weeds... I have them in a 2:1 mix of sand and peat, and they are doing fine.

It seems spats aren't too picky about what you grow them in. If you're growing everything together in a terrarium, worry about your most picky plant, and the spats will accept whatever you've put in there.

funny how you guys started to talk about the Spat first.. I also listed the other plants I have in the same Tank... Im guessing the D. Brevifolia is the most picky.?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jlui83 @ Mar. 30 2005,9:20)]funny how you guys started to talk about the Spat first.. I also listed the other plants I have in the same Tank... Im guessing the D. Brevifolia is the most picky.?
If you don't want your tank overgrown with spats, I'd clip off the flowers as they form. The D. binata will also spread quite a bit.

The jury is out with respect to play sand. If you do use it, wash it well. The best recommendation is going to a pool supply place and get pool filter sand. Others have also suggested sandblasting sand. I haven't tried it.

Right now the plants are in Peat Moss... nothing else and doing GREAT. I just wanted to see if I could use Play sand, b/c I have about half a bag left and i will be moving these plants from a 2 1/2 gal tank to a 20 gal long tank.... heh,, I was just curious.. Ill most likely just use the same substrate as I have already.. another thing

Ive seen some picture where people but small rocks on the bottom of their tanks and then the soil mix... I guess the rocks create a drainage?

I would say so. As with all our media, wash well before using, as not everything is CP-safe. You can add the LFS (dried long fibered Sphagnum moss) that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

Since your not planting a bog or something large, you might just consider washed horticultural grade sand.  I get it at a nursery and it comes in about a 1 gallon bag.  Also, you might consider pummice you can usually find it at large nursereys.  

Play sand is often collected from rivers, and if it's near agriculture thre is a good chance that there is fertilizer in the sand from run off.

I'm not a big fan of planting the bottom of a terrarium.  There are a couple of drawbacks in doing this.  One is, you are limited to the kinds of plants you put in it, unless you are willing do dig a plant out that requires dormancy.  Also, if a plant becomes infected with a disease or pest, you have to dig it out before if infects the rest of your plants.  If you have them in individual pots you can simply take the pot out.  Many times in undrained setups, the planting media becomes stagnant or minerals build up and you must replace the entire media.  Again in pots you can just replace an individual plant's media.

True but classic terrariums can be very nice if done properly and with some immagination. LOL

Patch has his in a potted landscape where he put them in individual pots and then burried them. I personally would like to do something like that with a fifty gal one day and put some tropical fish with a waterfall. COOOL LOL
terrarium.jpg

Then you have JanW's, which was very well landscaped in my opinion.
Before
terrarium01.jpg

After
terrarium03.jpg

And then there is the greenhouse style (a sample by LESLIEx317537). I woulda shown mine, but mine has not really been presentable and all my pics of it when it was presentable are outdated... sorry

NewTerrariumFull.jpg

Yes, and it is very aesthetically well done. She also had her bouts with mold to deal with. Just a caveat to terraria.

hmm.. I see what you guys mean when you say that its a bit more difficult to have certain plants together and planting them on the bottom of the tank as to having them in separte pots.

I think im going to keep my collection pretty limited to VFTs, and the couple of Droseras that I have... I will try it out first Potted to the bottom.. IF in fact something does go wrong, I dont mind digging the plant up... Thanks for everyones help!

Playsand!....just say no. Your plants will grow but won't be as happy and possible may decline in vigor. Stop by your local pool supply store and buy some filter sand, its much better. Just my two cents. Been there done that, won't do it again.

Glenn

Well, I bought some playsand a few months back and made a 50/50 peat sand mix, and my plants grow great in it.It also says on the bag that the sand has been thoroughly washed.I guess this is why my plants grow well in it.

I buy playsand at Lowes.I have used it for about 1 1/2 years now with no problems.I don't even rinse it,so far so good.Most of my plants are outside so the rain washes the mix for me,I know this is not a good way of doing it but it works.

Jerry

Thats why growing CPs is so much fun. I have only had bad things happen with playsand and good things with filter sand. Every growing situation is different.

Glenn

I used play sand until I discovered leveling sand was cheeper and perhaps better. Seems fine. Actually All the sand I have used has been fine

The term "sand" is technically a designation of grain size, not of what materials are in there. So there's a wide margin of error here as far as safety.

heh, seems like still mix reviews on play sand mix... Ill just stick to the good old Peat Moss then.. I'll play it safe because so far so good.. Why change right?

Back