What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterilite container experiment for mini-bog

Coincidentally, i was at Target today browsing the selection of Sterilite containers, and dreaming of large minibogs.  Unfortunately, they're mostly too deep.  But i haven't ruled them out!

One thing to keep in mind when setting one of these up (especially a big one) is that most of those sterilite containers are probably not UV stabilized.  A few months exposed to sun and... crunchy plastic.  Yummy.

I think the colored ones are more likely to hold up, though.

Okay, no Sterilte containers and no more streams for me! I just filled me a bucket of rinsed sand and peat and emplaced a few Sarrs., a VFT, and a couple D. binata cultivars. Later this week I am going to take another bucket and do the same with my flowering D. binata, filiformis, intermedia, rotundifolia, and some Darlingtonia seedlings. Forget the natural bog and torrential downpours and permanent swims! Just need a few drainage holes and presto - instant mini-bog!

you have to get the rubberized ones they are UV stableised for 2-3 years but if you bury them probibly more.

And a couple days later I pu together another bucket of mini-bog. This one contains my monster D. binata with the endless flower stalk, along with the flowering D. filiformis (California sunset), soon to be flowering D. intermedia, and pathetic D. rotundifolia.

Today, I was kinda forced into creating a third one. I was given some Darlingtonia seedlings that had aphids as a project to clean 'em up. I was drowning them outside and today I saw that the pot was turned over and the seedlings were all floating. So I added sand and the dried LFS to a nice swampy consistency and nestled the seedlings in the LFS. Wish me skill!

Back