What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more outdoor plants for me

I don't know how you people keep these nice bog gardens. Every time I put my plants outside, something comes along and destroys them. Usually it was just VFTs, and something would eat all of the traps off.

I just put together a little mini-bog yesterday to see how it would fare (I don't know why I thought things would be any different). I go outside less than 24 hours later and it's demolished. All of the soil is completely turned over. I salvaged maybe 4 plants out of about 20 (cheap ones, luckily). The rest are mulch.

I think putting this thing in some kind of quarantine (i.e. a cage of netting or something) would completely ruin the natural effect I was going for, so, my plants are staying indoors from now on. Consider yourselves lucky if yours go unscathed... I still have no idea which animal has been doing this. Apparently a rare one if this doesn't happen to anyone else.

A warning to people putting expensive plants outdoors for the first time, I guess.

once i found a buried acorn in my bog
smile.gif

silly squirrels

I found an easy solution is to put live sphagnum moss on top. This gives it the apperace as always being there so creatures will not be inclined to dig it up.

PICT0360.jpg

One of these would greatly help. All you need is chicken wire, a staple gun, zip ties, and a piece of wood for the bottom. I made mine in about a half hour.

well id have it under survailence so wed know what we were dealing with

I'm a glutton for punishment.
(1) I have had ravaged VFT's.
(2) Turned over pots, due to a major rain event and keeping them in an "open tray" that was taller than the pots.
(3) Losing a bunch more to another major rain event, carrying everything downstream, never to be found.

But like the Borg, I adjust

Back