What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screw-in compact fluorescents

Just to let everyone know, the Ebayer I was buying these bulbs from has apparently decided to liquidate his stock and is no longer selling them
smile_h_32.gif

Serious bummer.

Sam

I was afraid of that. I noticed he was selling 10-packs of bulbs for around $90+shipping before he disappeared. I wanted to get one, but I did not have the money at that point.

I wonder if anyone else sells this bulb at a similar price.

-Ben

I can't find anyone who sells the LuxLite 85W bulbs for less than $27.50. I challenge you and others to find it cheaper!
smile.gif

Sam

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GaWd @ April 11 2005,6:48)]Ben,

ABC Bulbs: http://abcbulbs.com/Item.asp?ID=SL85-65K&my_ID=81537&afid=

1 for $25.50

Top Bulbs: http://www.topbulb.com/find....E_49368

1 for $26.95

THe first bulbs I bought were from ABC Bulbs. I liked them just fine, and in fact, I still have one running currently. I liked the bulb I bought from Top Bulb a bit better-smaller ballast, same approximate color temp and strength.

My newest bulb is from Ebay, and while it's definitely not built as well as the other two, the price of it is enough make up the difference at this point. Maybe in a month or two I'll be able to give you a better idea as to the longevity of them. If you asked me today, I'd have to say that I'll stick with these bulbs as long as humanly possible as I can buy 3 of them for the cost of one of the other two brands.

Proceed at your own peril when putting a stronger than rated bulb in a fixture. THe difference between 65W and 85W isn't very much in power. If it was rated for 20W and you were putting an 85W bulb in it, I might be more concerned. IMO, the CFL doesn't get anywhere near as hot as an incandescent bulb, and there shouldn't be any problem doing it, but YMMV.

Sam
I think you would be better off buying one of the bulbs listed in the eariler post above.

The question is, do those other bulbs still fit in a clamp light? The base looks larger than the Luxlite bulb. Does anyone have experience with those bulbs?

The 85W Grandbulb has been excellent thus far. My plants have already greatly improved. I couldn't find any place other than the aforementioned site selling them online, so I contacted the company. After I told them I did not want to purchase in large quantity (for a company), this is what they replied:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Dear Mr Simmons

Thank you for your email message. Please kindly inform us your location that we could transfer to our distributors.

Should you require more information, please feel free to contact us. Thank you and look forward to receiving your reply.

Regards
RHIANNON IP (MS)
Secretary

I told them my location, but unfortunately I don't know of any places around here that would sell bulbs like that. It would be nice if another eBayer bought a large supply to sell.

-Ben

Ben, the other 2 makes of bulbs that I mentioned will not fit in a standard-sized clamplite fixture. They may fit in the larger sized clampon fixture, however.

Let me know if the LuxLite people send you a list of distributors. I really like these bulbs.

Sam

Back