What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substrate

I was wondering what substrate to use in my terrarium. do you have to put dravel on the bottom for drainage? Or two types of dirt? Ive hears so many different answers, im confused
smile_h_32.gif
It will be sloaping up the back, so i need something that wont give way.

Okay, not to monopolize, here, but I DID step away for a half hour.... *heavy sigh*

If you were to ask 5 people on this forum as to what substrate to use, you will 5 differing combinations. Personally, for CP's, I mix sand and peat (pool filter sand and the Canadian peat from Home Depot) and then topdress it with LFS (Long Fibred Sphagnum - also from H.D.) Sand provides drainage, analogous to gravel. Be sure to throughly rinse whatever subtrate you use.

Hmmm... what to do about sloping woes? Perhaps you can place a plastic border along the perimeter of the sloped part to hold things in? I think a moist substrate would naturally keep itself from giving way, somewhat.

it wont be for cps, more mosses and ferns and orchids and vines. would it still be the same?

Jenna, I've reached the end of my expertise on this one. However, the places like Home Depot and Lowes should have a bagged soil mix for orchids and I know that there are orchid growers on this forum. I can suggest forum people for you to send a PM: Rattler MT, LauraZ5.

Here's a link to a site for orchid mix:

Orchid mixes

depends on the orchid you plan on using. the jewel orchids are about the only ones you will easily find that will grow well in "soil", they are grown for their colorful leaves not their flowers. most of the common stuff your going to find needs an airy mixture. im not much of an expert on terrariums but basically here is what you need to do. an inch or 2 of gravel on the bottom. place a layer of "weed barrier" over top the gravel, you know the black "cloth" stuff you put around trees to prevent grass from coming up. it keeps the soil from working its way down into your drainage area. next fill with your soil and plant it. you can grow "regular" orchids in this set up you may just have to get creative, mounting them on a log, hiding a pot full of orchid bark that is set in the soil but plenty high so it wont sit in any water from your drainage area. be creative about it.

thanks for the recomendation Jim but others such as Bruce(herenorthere) are much more experianced orchid growers. Joe(superimposedhope) would be another person to pick their brains. you wouldnt believe some of the stuff he has done. plus he can prolly hook yah up with some really neat plants or atleast point you in the right direction. the number of tropical ferns that are out there other than your normal rabbits foot and birdsnest ect is amazing. and there are quite a few availible if you know where to look

Back