What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colored plants

i am looking for plants with brightly colored leaves. so far the only plant ive found with outstanding colored leaves is the Calathea 'Pink Aurora'. does anyone know of any more, or where you can get them?

I would look into pet shops / tropical fish places. In addition to aquatic plants, most places also sell plants that are actually cuttings of semi-aquatic or even terrestrial. Examples include: red & green Sandriana, Crotons, "Purple Krinkle", and Florida Beauty.

For online:

Petflytrap

Here's a care sheet for Calathea:

Care Sheet

BTW, is a Yuri Wildcat anything like a Siberian Tiggy?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif

what about hoyas? do those do good in a full sun humid terrarium? and how do i know what plants dont mind humidity? its usually not listed at places like home depot. also, if a plant grows bigger than you want, do you just trim it back?

and for some reason, the petflytrap site only lets me see about 10 plants.

Aren't hoyas from georgetown? Okay, that was bad.

hoyaobscura.jpg

Hoyas have long been one of our very favorite houseplants.  We have them everywhere, all in natural light.  Most reside in our glasshouse, but many others hang in windows with eastern, western, or partly shaded southern exposures.  They're easy to grow almost anywhere, and are almost indestructible!

Hoya is a genus of more than 200 species and is a member of the Asclepiadaceae family, They are tropical and subtropical plants native to Australia, islands of the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, and China.

Commonly known as the "wax plant", "wax vine", or "porcelain flower", they are climbing, twining, vines with very thick, fleshy, leathery leaves.  Their waxy, often heavily fragrant  blooms are borne in rounded clusters like upside-down umbrellas.

Shown at left:  Hoya obscura v. longipedunculata

Hoyas are highly recommended for the novice or "black thumb", since they can be virtually neglect-proof once mature.  Because of their thick, almost succulent, stems and leaves, they are very tolerant of dryness.  If anything, too much, rather than too little, water can be a problem.  Though regular repotting in fresh soil is beneficial, they can be happy for very long periods in pots that are too small and soil that is too old.  They will survive as a nice foliage plant even in low-light conditions, but good, bright, light is needed if you want them to thrive and bloom regularly.  They are very tolerant of a wide range of temperatures and humidity.  

To propagate, simply root tip cuttings.  Avoid using old growth that has become "woody", don't over-water cuttings and very young plants, and provide them some warmth.  Also, be warned that Hoyas produce a thick, milky, sap that can make pruning and propagation a sticky, messy, chore!

A final note.  Once mature, most of the hoyas listed here will bloom regularly, if not almost constantly.  Do not remove flower bracts after blooms fade and drop!  Subsequent blooms will be produced from the same bract!

Hoya site

also, what do you do if a plant you order online is too big? sometimes they dont tell you the size. id there a way of making it smaller without totally butchering it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yuri_WIldcat @ May 04 2005,2:37)]also, what do you do if a plant you order online is too big? sometimes they dont tell you the size. id there a way of making it smaller without totally butchering it?

You could trim old, dead leaves, but I think you already know that. You can try making a leaf cutting by delicately cutting just above a node and create a new plant.

BTW, the picture at the top would make a wonderful avatar pic for you. It's about the right size.

well, since the abov isnt going to be in my collection (i just dont like pink, lol) i think i will use this.

There ya go! Um... Qu'est-ce que c'est-ca?
biggrin.gif

That was French for, "what is it?" Now watch me embarrass myself for not recognizing what the picture is. Ah, I'm used to it!

Nepenenthes work really well
smile.gif

Glad were not being racist agains different looking plants here. We could start the NAACP (NAtional Association for the Advancement of Colored Plants). Darn it some organisation already has our name
smile_n_32.gif

This is a most interesting topic when we digress

I do a lot of digressing and regressing and progressing and egressing! Speaking of egressing, time for me to do so!
biggrin.gif

Back