What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water filters

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date

lol

BANNED
I just went and bought a "PUR" water filter for the home faucet. Are theese filters good enough for humidifiers and plant water? Says it removes like 95% of a bunch of minerals, and like 50-75% of chlorine I guess... I got the 3 stage filter kind.

In the third stage of this filter, the water is "filtered over natural minerals for a CRISP, REFRESHING taste", so i would say use it for a couple months on some plants you won't miss before using it on the rest of them.

"Filtered over natural minerals"? Sounds like a glorified water softener. A water softener just exchanges ions/salts, it doesn't remove them. I.e. it replaces calcium with sodium. So it depends somewhat on the TDS (total dissolved solids) vs. KH (carbonate hardness) of your water whether or not the final product will be better for your plants.

Is that filter advertised as a reverse osmosis (RO) filter? That's the alternative way to remove minerals and chlorine, and the only way that will give you a large improvement in water quality.

All the PUR filter is is a carbon block for removing chlorine & stuff that causes the water to taste bad. The third stage is a recent developement (at least around here). Prior to that it was a two stage filter. The first stage removes fine particles like sediment or rust from pipes. The second stage is a carbon block that removes chlorine and some other stuff from the water. Now the new third stage adds minerals to the water to improve its taste.

PUR and Brita will do nothing good for your CP's. All they are designed to do is make water platable for drinking purposes. I'm sure your other houseplants will love it though!

Back