What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal terrarium temperature and humidity

My terrarium hovers at around 85 degrees F. and 48% humidity. Is this ideal or far from it?

That should be acceptable for many plants, but it depends on the specific species you are growing. Could you list them all?

My terrarium ranges from 76-85F with 44-60% RH.

-Ben

The fan we talked about in the other thread: If my terrarium is at this temperature, do I need a fan just for air circulation?

Edit: I'll try to list them all...Let's see...I have two Venus Flytraps, a Water Sundew, a Spoon Sundew, a Cape Sundew, a Narrow Leaf Sundew and I believe that's it.

What is the outside temperature where your terrarium is? Do you get a temperature drop at night? By the way, the lights should be left on for 12-16 hours a day and then turned off.

So far, you have mentioned that you have a cape sundew (Drosera capensis) and a water sundew (Drosera intermedia).

I only have personal experience with D. capensis, but both of these plants should be fine as long as the temperature does not go much over 85. The water sundew will require a winter dormancy from what I have read, and at that point you will most likely need to take it out of the terrarium.

To my knowledge, the only plants that could be damaged by a temp of 85 would be certain species of Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plants) or Heliamphora (sun pitchers). Most of the beginner plants of these species will still do fine in the temperatures you mentioned though.

-Ben

There's is a temp drop at night outside my terrarium, about five to ten degrees. So not much, but it's there. Why is 85 the magical number? I've read a few places online that temps can get up to 90 degrees in terrariums and CPs will be fine...

There is nothing special about 85, you just don't want to go much over it.  If you want to take it to extremes, you could probably go up to 100F without problems for most plants.  I don't know how well they would do in constant exposure to such high temperatures though; most of the articles and posts I have read mention temps up to around 85.

What was the temp of your house when it was 85 in the terrarium?  This will help to know how much of that heat is actually being caused by the light.

Here is a section in the Carnivorous Plant FAQ that states temps up to 100F are OK:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3520.html

You'll definitely want to make sure the plants have enough water at higher temps.

-Ben

Today my terrarium hit 96 degrees! Yikes! The thing is, the top is cracked open more than an inch (more like an inch and a half) and I have a fan blowing a slight breeze across the lights, also creating a slight breeze within the terrarium. Is this kind of temp ok as long as the breeze is there, replacing air? I know you showed me that article about temps up to 100 degrees would be fine for most plants, but I just want to make sure.

It was very hot here today, so I'm sure that's the reason the temps got so high for those couple hours. Usually the temp doesn't exceed 86 degrees.

mine stays about 85 in spring and summer, then a ten degree drop or so at night. lower in fall in winter.

i try to keep my RH atleast 70 but if it dips lower to say 65 i don't sweat it. i don't like to keep it too hight, about 80, because i used to key that black mold stuff that feeds on the nectar.

That short burst of high temperature shouldn't cause any problems, as long as the plants have enough water. As long as they don't look wilted or brown, they are fine.

I notice that you live in California. Depending on where you are in the state, you might want to check out this site if you are interested in growing plants outside:

http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

Just note that you don't want to expose a closed terrarium to direct sunlight, as this will fry the plants!

-Ben

My 29-gal with my N. ventricosa, D. adelae and P. primuliflora is usually ~80 degrees and ~70% humidity.

sorry if this is a late post but 86 degrees is the ideal temperature for photosynthesis so thats why 85 seems to be a magic number.

z

Back