What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think my plant is dying

Here is the deal. I'm new to this and I have a 10 gallon tank with a venus fly trap. It started off nice. I have perlite on the bottom and then I have some mixed with with some peat moss. Then I have this long fiber moss stuff on top of that. I filled it with about 1 gallon of distilled water and put a fluorescent light over it. I then fed it part of a night crawler and then it started to turn black and looks like it's drying up. I spary it with the distilled water everday and I even put a second light on it but I dunno. Should I cover the top with some plastic to help out humidity or what? All the traps are closed and they look like they are cracking and turning black. Can anyone help out a rookie?

Hi J and welcome to the forums! Just cut off the blackened trap. It would appear that the VFT had indigestion.

Humifity is overerrated and many who go the terrarium route tun into problems with mold from the lack of air circulation.

VFT's do the best when outside but will do very well when the pot is placed in a distilled water filled plastic container, at a south-facing window sill. here is a picture to illustrate this:

Jamie's%20Plants.jpg

It lacks aesthetics, but you'll get the idea. Any other questions?

I live in Wisconsin so I don't know about putting it outside and then what would I do in the winter? I got rid of the black parts but they steams look like they are drying out and getting kinda yellow/white crusty spots. I would put them on a window still but its kinda too big for that so I have to use artificial light.

Hi JMurphy97.
I live in Wisconsin too. Grew up in Milwaukee, but live about 45 minutes west of oshkosh now.

I just moved all my plants outside today. VFTs (Venus Fly Traps) can handle a light frost. But I am still going to keep an eye on the weather, and will bring them back in if it should look like it may frost again, or hit another extended cold spell. Our summers are plenty humid for most CPs (Carnivorous Plants).

VFTs require a winter dormancy period. But shouldn't be left outside here over winter.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]DORMANCY : Dormancy is best done by taking the plant out of the pot during mid-autumn , spray it with fungicide , wrap the roots with peat moss or lfs ( long fibered sphagnum ), put it in a plastic bag , then place it in the refridgerator , and take it out in early spring . If you are fortunate enough to live in an area similar to the climate found in a venus flytrap's natural habitat then you should keep your plants outside year round . Remember to take off dead plant matter to avoid fungus .
I have not had my VFTs for a winter yet. But I let a couple of the spare bedrooms in my house drop down to just over freezing during the winter, so any of my plants that need a winter dormancy will be placed in those rooms.

Earthworms aren't generally good for VFTs (from what I have read) They are to high in nutrients.

If you can post some pictures of your plant it will help in determining how bad the situation is.

Should I place it in direct sun or kinda in the shade?

Direct sunlight is best. Don't worry about dormancy for another few months. Then we'll discuss the different strategies. For now, the more light they get - the better.

VFTs don't need THAT much humidity... in fact, most newbies overdo the humidity.

Unless you live in an arid climate, they will do just fine outside. Just keep the soil wet.

Ok thanks to everyone for the help. I will move the tank outside today see how it goes.

Just having the pot sit in an open tray of water is enough humidity for VFT's. I'd worry more about the sunlight. Bright, direct sun is best, and if you can, put it in an east or south-facing windowsill. That way it gets nice, bright sun, but not the afternoon heat.

Mannex, I don't think the heat is the issue. My outdoor plants, including VFTs, experience about 9 million degrees and, like, 800% humidity every summer and they do righteously.

As jimscotscoot said, humifity is indeed overrated.

I put it outside in direct sunlight and I've been keeping the soil around it wet but it looks like it's not helping, but getting worse. It's even been raining the past couple days so I don't think it's drying out or anything. It's kinda burning brownish now.

Sounds as if it was too much light too fast and it is now in shock. Always put plants outside in shade for a couple few days and gradually move them to full sun - especially those that were bought in garden centers and / or have been in the mail for a few days. They are already weakened and need time to recover. Don't worry, we have all done it. Keep us posted!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ May 22 2005,8:46)]Ok thanks to everyone for the help. I will move the tank outside today see how it goes.
dont take the *tank* outside!
just the plant itself..
if you have the plant outside, you dont want or need the tank at all..
and the tank could be bad..it could cause overheating.
you plant will be MUCH better off without the tank.
dont even worry about humidity, its not even an issue where you live.

put the plant in a tray of water (distilled or rain water only)
put it in bright sunlight, and it will be golden..

yes leaves that grew indoors will burn, thats not a problem, as new leaves appear they will be able to take the direct sunlight..

Scot

what kind of "soil" is it in?
and what kind of water are you giving it?

can you post any pictures?
if not, email me a few and I can post them for you.

sscotsman@yahoo.com

Scot

Ok on the bottom I have some perlite. Then I have some peat moss mixed with perlite. Then on top of that I have some long fibered sphagnum moss. I use distilled water to water or whenever it rains it gets some. Maybe it is too hot inside the tank. I was thinking of maybe taking it out and putting it in a little one gallon plastic thing and putting it on a window still. Is it a problem if I don't have it in a water tray but I spray it everyday with a mist bottle?

By the way the ratio for peat moss/perlite is 2:1. Should I keep this when I switch it or should I use sand? Let me know what to do to make up the ground for it.

soil and water sound great..
dont repot.

no tank.
no one gallon plastic thing .
no windowsill.
no indoors.
no worry about humidity.

yes outdoors.
yes water tray.
yes full sunlight.
yes just give it water and leave it alone..it will recover if its wants to.

you are over-thinking!
smile_m_32.gif

sun, water, outdoors, no cover..thats the best conditions you can give it.
continually messing with it will only make it worse.
if its still in the tank take it out..

Scot

Ok. It will be done. I will not let this thing die.

I've been thinking out what I will put in the 10 gallon anyways. How would I raise the humidity for a scorpion that comes from the jungles of Africa?

ooh..one thing I just thought of..

perlite..some it comes with fertilizer added!
smile_h_32.gif

I bought a big bag of Miracle Grow perlite..thinking "perlite is perlite, its all the same."
wrong...
(the "miracle grow" name should have tipped me off! but it didnt at the time..I never imagined anyone would add fertilizer to perlite!)
so the miracle grow perlite is useless for CPs..it has fertilizer added..
are you sure your perlite is "pure"??

Scot

My perlite says nothing about anything added in with it so I guess it's pure.

Back