What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post pictures of your terrariums!

I saw that there was an old picture thread, but why not start a new thread just for terrariums? Exactly. So I'll start:

My terrarium
Myterrarium.jpg

Top view
Topviewofterrarium.jpg

View of left side
Terrarium-Leftside.jpg

View of right side
Terarrium-Rightside.jpg

My Water Sundew-A cricket is all wrapped up in that leaf!
WaterSundew.jpg

My Northern Dewthread
NorthernDewthread.jpg

My Lance-Leaf Sundew-Another cricket, down the drain!
LanceLeafSundew.jpg

My Cape Sundew-At this point, you almost feel bad for the little guys. Hahahaha!
CapeSundewwrappedaroundanotherhelplesscricket.jpg

And finally, one of my Venus Flytraps-That little guy never had a chance...
VenusFlytrapdigestingacricket.jpg

Hope you all enjoy!

Nice pictures. We would all appreciate it if you resized them though... and many here on the forums aren't blessed with a cable modem, so it would take them an hour or more to load all the pictures you just posted.
smile.gif

That's a 5-gallon terrarium?!  
confused.gif
 It looks larger than my 10-gallon.  

Here's mine:

Outside:  (from left to right, N. rafflesiana, D. capensis, D. muscipula, H. heterodoxa x minor)
outside.jpg

Closeup:
close.jpg

Top view:  (the cup in the back is U. sandersonni, in a setup recommended by elgecko.  The tillandsia at the bottom is T. stricta.)
top.jpg

-Ben

Hahaha, yes it's a 5 gallon. I swear! Perhaps it's because my pots are smaller so I can fit more in?

Your plants are beautiful! I especially like your Venus Flytrap. It's huge! Is that just one plant or several? Also, how old is that plant?

Your last picture isn't showing up. I want to see it!

[EDIT] Now it's showing up. Very cool! Now why do you need that cup for those plants?

Sorry about that last picture.  I accidentally uploaded the entire 2048x1536 image, so I removed it until I could fix the problem (I imagine that would have really ticked people off!).

I got so distracted by the size of your tank that I forgot to comment on the plants.  They look very clean and healthy.  I especially like the look of the water sundew; it looks like you have three plants in that pot.  Also, your sphagnum moss looks to be in really good condition, much better than mine.  How long have you had it in those pots?

I have had the VFT for two years, and it has increased in size a lot since I bought it.  It was my first CP that I really put a lot of effort and research into keeping alive.  Naturally, once I had all the equipment, I decided to buy more plants.  In any case, it is actually larger in the summer than it is now.  This is probably the smallest its been in a while.  As best I can tell, it is a clump of 6 or more plants by now.

The cup is for bladderworts (in this case Utricularia sandersonii), I got the idea from elgecko in
this thread.  It allows you to see the bladders which are normally underground.  In my case, it has been the only growing medium that seems to be allowing my U. sandersonii do well, maybe because it is almost constantly flooded.

U. sandersonii is not flowering right now since I recently moved it and it is still recovering.
usands.jpg

-Ben

Ben how tall is your H. heterodoxa x. minor? And how much light does it get to get that beutiful color?

Thanks for the compliments!

I do have three Water Sundews in that pot. Guess I just got lucky when I bought it!

As for my moss, it's the same moss that was in my pots when I bought all my plants. So it has been in those containers for maybe three weeks now.

Never heard of a Water Sundew. But it looks like D. capensis
smile_m_32.gif

D. intermedia is the water sundew, Ron.
~Joe

hey,
this is my terrarium. I have had some strange problems with it (see topic 'the ones we win the ones we loose') The tank itself is a 20 L tank. On top are three 20w grow lights that are on for 15 hours a day. The yellow thing is a plastic piece that keeps the lid of the tank open about two+ inches. I might have had a problem with air circulation before, but now that it is warm enough outside, the windows behind the terrarium are open most of the day and the wind blows right in over the tank. To reflect light i have placed aluminum tape attached to cloth on three sides of the outside of the tank. In addition, i have attached a piece of white cardboard by velcro to act as an open viewing window or a 4th reflective surface. The humidity hovers between 50% and 75%, with temperatures between (now that its warm around here) 55 degrees and 85. I have devided the plants in the terrarium into two halves, those that need daily misting and those that dont. that way i can give the ones that need misting the water they need without disturbing those plants prone to rot.

The misting side contains;
-N. Ventricosa
-N. Ventricosa red
-Typical fly trap (large on in front, younger behind it)
-Big mouth fly trap (behind typical, damaged by housemates cat. see above mentioned topic for other like horror stories)
-N. Gracilis var nigrapurpurea (new, just starting to get traps)
-H. Heterodoxa x minor (behind nep)
-S. Purpurea (again behind nep)
-S. Alata (again again behind nep, you can just see it)

the non misting side contains;
- two pots of d. scorpiodos
- cutting of adelae (attempt to save plant from local Lowes)
- D. Spatulata (anyone know how and when to get seeds from flowering plant?)
- D. Zimbabwe
- P Primulifliora
- D binata

So what am i doing wrong? right? not at all? too much? HELP!?!?!?!?!

~jeff
Picture001.jpg

i like your D. intermedia. it looks alot like D. mada.... mad... the one from Madagascar
smile.gif

D. intermedia has longer petioles am i correct?

Are you talking about my Intermedia? If so, then thank you very much
smile.gif

yes you
smile.gif
the one with the cricket
biggrin.gif

D. madigascarensis (I think that is spelled right) JLAP.
Some ones abreviations on terra are JBL but I always type LBJ. Darn presidents always confusing me

Hahaha, yes me with the cricket
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks again. I'll be posting pics of it again next week to show you guys the progress it has made.

Back