What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-bog drainage techniques

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
After visiting Elgcko this past Sunday, and seeing his mini-bog, I have become re-inspired to re-kindle the endeavor. I now have two good-sized buckets and a pail, filled with peat & sand, topdressed with LFS. I have my few Sarracenias, a VFT, a few Droseras, and some Darlingtonia seedlings.

Now I would know what to do with window sill plants and open tray and pots with holes at the bottom. What do you do with an un-natural mini-bog? Do you bore holes in it or not? If so, do you put the holes at the top, middle, or bottom?

Scott,
I drilled holes into mine about half way up the sides to allow for drainage.

Drill a hole in the side close to the bottom. Push some long fibered sphagnum into the hole to prevent soil loss. Plug the hole with a rubber stopper (they can be found at any hardware store--check the size before you drill the hole).  Pull the plug once a week or so and flush the mini-bog with pure water.  If you have a completely undrained container, it will soon smell like it needs it's diapers changed.  

In a natural bog it may seem like there's just a bunch of standing water, however, under the peat there is always slowly moving fresh water that flushes away minerals and impurities.  

Brian

Back