What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After finishing a container of chocolates, I realized the transparent pyramid shaped container would also make a great cp house; and with all the bogs and natural terrarium projects going on, why not?

Below is a picture of the plan for my cp pyramid. The pyramid is a square based pyramid, measuring 17.5cm X 17.5cm for the base and 16cm high. I plan to add small or slow growing cps that enjoy higher temperatures since the enclosed space will become hot and humid.

There will be no pots inside the pyramid, instead, stratigically positioned rocks will be used. Small amounts of peat and sphagnum will be stuffed between the gaps where the rocks meet and cps will be grown there.

The problem with this idea is the lack of soil. I will need plants that have shallow roots. The pygmies on the bottom of the pyramid will only have about 1cm deep of soil, so that will be a problem. I may have to switch some of them around to accomidate the roots. Another problem is the humidity. I am guessing the humidity will be relatively high, so I will need some plants who will resist rotting. The capensis might not enjoy the high humidity. A third problem is space. I will have to cram all the plants into a small confined area, although I'm hoping it will look specatcular when finished. Lastly, all flower stalks will have to be cut due to the lack of head room.

At least this project will keep me busy though the summer
biggrin.gif

PyramidProjectPlan.jpg

The materials I have so far include the pyramid and some of the plants. My first step will be to find some suitable rocks. This will take me a few days since I need to find them and clean them, too. Wish me luck
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

P.S. the chocolate brand was Ferrero Rocher, and man are they good
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: MISTAKE- The nep should be N. campanulata instead of clipeata
smile.gif

That seems like a really cool idea! I can't wait to see how it turns out
smile.gif

I whent out and found some matching rocks today. I tested for signs of high pH useing viniger. Then, I did a wash and microwaved them to sterilize. I was kinda afraid the rocks would explode
smile_l_32.gif
.After cooling them under a cool tap, I placed them according to the plan I drew. When I was pleased with the design, I glued them all together useing Silica glue, normally used in bathrooms. I hope that doesn't poison them, but seeing how it is used in sinks and stuff, I dont think any toxins will leak and it probably wont degrade (it promised to last a few decades on the label). Here it is so far. Now time for the soil! Zongyi
1Rock.jpg

good luck finding that particular nep. if you do and it'll grow well, that container will be way to small. try N. campanulata
the dionaea will need dormancy and so will the pygmies.
D. adelae (sp?) would look really good.

there just doesn't seem to be nearly enough room..... not to mention drainage and light requirements and temps and all that. a small terrarium can overheat quickly

Oops, I ment N. campanulata. You can even see the shape of the pitchers that I was trying to draw looks like N. campanulata pitchers
smile.gif

I am aware the Dionaea will need dormancy, so it would be removed during winter. I dont know where I head it from, but I tought dormancy could be skipped for pygmies and they can be grown all year long
confused.gif

I thought about sticking a D. adelae somewhere in there. Maybe I will if I find some room....

The idea of the project is fitting a lot of cps in a small amount of space, so I'm gonna have to cope with the headroom ;) . There will be no drainage, I hope the soil would retain the moisture so that there would be no leaks. Light would be supplied by a flouresccent lamp, and I am thinking of drilling two small holes somewere in the back to place the output of an aquarium air pump and a exhaust. This should prevent overheating to some degree, and create some air movement. Zongyi

P.S. I'm currently putting the soil in. Should be finished with that shortly
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I just finished with the soil. It may look like peat and sand, but there are actually layers in specific spots. I've got vermiculite and perlite where I want the pings, and a lot of sand where the pygmies would be. Some choir is under the sphagnum where the nep would be and things like that. So far so good. Tomorrow, I'll start with the planing of some pings, drosera and utrics. Zongyi
2Soil.jpg

Zongyi - that's AWESOME! I have a Ferrero Rocher container also, but mine is rectangular with "cut" corners on the top so it looks more like a jewel. That is funny, I was thinking about using it to grow spagnum moss just last week.

Moranensis is an excellent and pretty choice. P. esseriana would also be good if you want something smaller, and it's a tough mexi-ping that seems to like any conditions I give to it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Michelle
smile.gif
. I have the retangular one too. I kept pet spiders that I found the the garden with it before. I was planning to do a simular project with it until I got the bigger pyramid.

I was thinking of esseriana, and I probably would stuff it in there. I found that there is a lot of room at the back, so some plants would go there. I also need a shade ping. Is there a ping that likes shade, stays small, and looks different from esseriana and ehlersae? Something shaped like P. vulgaris or P. primuliflora, so theres not much repetition
smile.gif
. P. vulgaris and primuliflora are out though because of the warmth.

I also need to replace the capensis. I heard it dosn't do well in humid areas, and I think it may get a little too big for the pyramid. Perhaps a tropical intermedia, anglica, or simularly shaped drosera would do. Zongyi

Hey, I was just thinking, since I don't know the conversion of metrics well ;) but can you maybe fit the pyramid on top of the rectangular? That would make a higher humidity area under the pyramid, with half of a flat area on the uncovered part. p. gracilis, jaumavensis, kondoi, villosa, looks to be similar in shape but I have never had any of those so I can't give you any more info. Maybe pingman can help ya out!

Thanks for the help
smile.gif
. The two would definantly not fit though, since the rectangle is about half the width of the base of hte pyramid, which is a square. I'll look into those pings that you mentioned, but they sound uncommon and I'll have some trouble getting hold of them. Zongyi

I just finished with the transplanting of a few plants. The ones moved in so far are:
U. sandersonii (Top, on the big rock)
U. bisquamada (Lower left)
U. laterifolia (Lower right, you can only see a few strands if you really search. Actually, there are a lot more but they are behind a rock)
P. ehlersae (Lower right)
P. moranensis (Middle, its a offshoot and a little beat up from shipping)
D. dielsiana (Middle right)

I moved the P. moranensis a little higher than planned because I was thinking there wont be enough room a level lower. Its been switched with the camale reproductive organ/intermedia/whatever its gonna be. I also added a few random pieces of life sphagnum that I just got in the mail. This is how its gonna be for now, since I dont have the other plants yet. More will be arriving in the mail in the next few weeks. these plants would be tests plants for now, and I'll be checking how they do in these conditions.

3Plants.jpg

Picture of the pyramid without the lid.

3PlantsLid.jpg

Picture of the pyramid with the lid.

Zongyi

That's so cool! I know I've said it before, but I really like it
smile.gif

So you will be growing that under lights? I can't wait to see it once all the plants have had a few weeks to grow and get used to the conditions. It makes me want to build one!

Keep up the good work!

All you need now is a mini waterfall and some plastic dinosaurs!
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks for the comments
smile.gif
. Yes, the plants will be grown under lights (sunlight is a little too strong) and there will be a small human shaped molded figure in there when its done. I got it from some bonsai kit someone sent me. A waterfall would be nice, but too bad theres no tray and it would leak all over the place. I am planning to build a larger version in a fishtank, and a waterfall plus a river would be included, but I already said too much :p . Zongyi

looks awesome, shoudl be even better when they fill in and the utrics start blooming

Very ingenious. You've done a remarkable job. Your creation looks so attractive it could be sold in a fancy boutique.

Thanks for the comments
smile.gif
. Hopefully, it will be an interesting conversation piece. I threw out the label already, so I think its the hazelnut chocolates. The round balls that have a nut in the middle? Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Zongyi_Yang @ June 08 2005,3:48)]I think its the hazelnut chocolates. The round balls that have a nut in the middle? Zongyi
yep, those are the ones.

I love those.

Back