What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem

So I've been using two 15 watt flourescent tubes (825 lumens each) to light my terrarium for the past few weeks, They've been working great so far, but I decided that I needed more light yesterday so I bought two 19 watt compact flourescents (equivalent to 75 watts each-1100 lumens each). I tried using all the lights at the same time, tubes and new bulbs, and the heat in my terrarium was just too much, even with my fan blowing over it. So what should I do? Ditch the tubes and just use my two new CFs? Or keep the tubes and maybe just use one of the CFs or something. Help!

i dont think your supposed to use 19 watt tubes on a ballast designed to use 15 watt tubes.

how hot is too hot and how big is your terrarium?

everyone should use an electronic ballast.

Well the compact flourescents are in their own desk lamp fixtures, like incandescent ones. The tubes are in tube fixtures. And too hot would be going from 80 degrees normally to about 87 degrees.

My terrarium is a 5 gallon.

i'd get a real setup instead of a desklamp.

87 is fine for lowlanders. my daytemp is about 85 in the summer.

And what would be considered a "real setup"? I only have a 5 gallon terrarium, I don't want to go buying some elaborate setup  
smile_n_32.gif

And I'm growing sundews and a venus flytrap. Would that be considered lowlander?

i meant a real hood that holds lights.

your Drosera and Dionaea can go outside in the sunshine and will do great especially since you live in California. then you'll have space for Nepenthes
biggrin.gif

Well I have hoods to hold my tubes, just not my new CFs.

And as far as them going outside, I want them inside where I can look at them all day long
smilie4.gif

I'm still not sure which lights I should get rid of
smile_h_32.gif

keep the 19 watts as long as it's safe.

your plants need to be within inches of the tubes for good coloration.

CFs are more intense and can be placed farther away than tubes. Where do you have all these lights? Do the desklamps have reflectors? If the CFs are actually inside the tank, you may want to move them so they are just outside, thus they can still give light while drastically reducing heat. Make sure the fan blows right over the space between the bulbs and the tank. Pictures of your whole lighting setup would help a lot.

You may also want to consider upgrading to a 10 gallon tank ($10, pet store) and using a single 65W Fluorex light ($30-$40, hardware store/walmart). This will provide all the light you need while also reducing heat and giving you space for more plants. If you return the 19W bulbs you would have enough money to pay for the tank and probably a little of the light.

-Ben

but remember sharp that cf's are still not the sun. you won't get the same coloration on dionaea with a cf compared to the sun.

Get a bigger tank or get rid of the tank altogether. VFTs and sundews aren't that delicate. Although they should probably be outside, they'll do fine in a windowsill or under lights, given the right conditions. A tank holds too much heat and keeps the air still. Swap out the tank for a big, open tray of water and you'll have less trouble.
Good luck,
~Joe

PS - Take a look at the setups described in this post.

I have the similar setup for my 10gal terrarium--namely, 2 25W compact fluorescents in circular workshop light fixtures placed on the terrarium lid. (I suggest buying the workshop light fixtures because they have reflective inner surfaces....they can be found cheap at Lowes/Home depot).

Sharp229 is correct, compacts produce much more heat than tubes which is why your terrarium is getting hotter. But 87F is not too bad for most tropical sundews and VFTs. For example, in winter, my apartment is 65F and my terraria are ~10-15F hotter than the ambient temp. In summer, my apartment is 80F (I don't use air conditioning) and my terraria hit 90F. So far, most of my plants have done just fine (even the helis....surprisingly!). The key is choosing plants that will do well under those conditions.

And JLAP is correct.....some plants just won't be as colorful under fluorescents, especially those that need A LOT of light to keep their coloration (e.g., red VFT cultivars).

I also hope you're aware that your VFTs will need annual dormancy! So you'll be able to look at them all day long.....just not every day of the year!

Sure, the sun is the best source. However, you will need a fairly bright window... The best way is to just experiment. I have both a terrarium and window-grown plants, and am planning on growing some outdoor plants soon.

I too like looking at the plants when I am doing work inside, so I can sympathize with LLeopardGGecko. Plus, for me it is just easier to maintain.

I CAN say that it is possible to get fairly good coloration under proper artificial light, albeit lesser than the kind of color you get in constant direct sun. My VFT, H. heterodoxa x minor, and others get respectable coloration with a single Fluorex in a 10G tank.

-Ben

Well the good news is that since I added my two CFs, my plants have started to gain more color. I'll give it another week and really see if the lights are doing their jobs.

Sharp: You said I should get a 65 watt Flourex. I'm thinking about starting another terrarium and this interests me. I actually almost bought this bulb last time I was at Home Depot but it didn't have the bottom part (ballast?) to screw into an incandescent fixture. I don't know how to add the ballast. Is there an easy way to do that?

Fluorex fits very well on a 10G tank, although it requires a special fixture. You can find the fixture (it comes with a bulb) in the outdoor lighting section of Home Depot, and I have heard of it being available at Walmart. Usually the fixtures available at hardware stores require wiring a plug, since it has bare wires. However, this is relatively easy to do; you can just get a cord with bare wires on one end, and use wire nuts and electricians tape to connect it.

If you need one that fits in a regular fixture, you can look at this thread:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=17820

Unfortunately the best one that was $12 on eBay is no longer available, and the other options are about $25 each, so you will have to spend a little over twice the price of a Fluorex replacement bulb, which is $10.

-Ben

Back