What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dried lfs in terrarium

I set up a 10 gallon 'temperate terrarium' recently. The plants are in saucers, that sit on a layer of (scrubbed) rocks. I keep about an inch of water in there for humidity, with airstones so the water doesn't just sit...

I top-dressed the rocks with a bit of LFS to give it a 'boggy look'... And now after a month I have noticed some patches of green in the sphagnum... I can't really tell where this green came from.

I'm wondering if this is mold (doesn't look fuzzy, at least not yet) of some kind or perhaps the dried sphagnum wasn't quite dead? I'm considering removing the plants from this terrarium and letting it go a bit just to see what develops.

Thoughts and advice? Anyone ever have LFS that resurrected itself from the dead?

oh yeah. it's full of spores.

but it could also be algea that makes it look alive. if you see little baby tufts then it's original.

it could also be spores of a different species of moss.

Does it resemble this not terribly clear photo?

D.%20scorpiodes%20(Vic%20Brown).jpg

This is live LFS from the bagged, dried stuff pruchased from Lowes. Yes, it does come alive after awhile. I also have a tray of live LFS that was sent to me. I use it to cultivate leaf cuttings.

As Clint suggests, the spores do seem to exist with the dried LFS and light & water bring it to life.

Could be, can't tell yet. Right now it's just little tufts of green in the brown. Barely enough to see the color.

Jimscott could you tell me the species of Drosera that is. I have one just like it, but I can't figure out what it is called. Thanks in advance.

The one that is actually planted with the live LFS is D. scorpiodes. The one next door, invading its space is D. binata. Both are fun, easy, and attractive. Forked sundews and pigmies rock!

Back