What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help !

Guys i need your help !!

I live in an apartment where my suite is on the east side. I get direct sunlight for only 3 to 5 hrs a day. My plants can only stay in my small room. I would like to get a terranium that is 10 gallons or less BUT I believe that I need at least 40 watts of fluorescent ? I cannot find any 10 gallons or less that supports 40 watts.

Can someone give me some suggestions on what to do !!

Why not get a clip lamp and a compact fluorescent bulb? You can get two small lamps and two 100-watt incandescent-equivalent bulbs (I think they actually consume like 29 watts a piece.) That would be more than enough light, I imagine. Tre is right, try putting some white or metallic reflectors around the tank.
Best luck,
~Joe

yes or actually mirrors (If you have spares) work better then tinfoil (so I've heard).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]clip lamp and a compact fluorescent bulb

I have thought of that.  But my Dad won't allow me. He said It will probably break the glass or melt the plastic aquarium
smile_h_32.gif

I am still looking for a 10 gallons with 40 watts. Anymore suggestions ?

What bulbs are you guys using and light fixture ?

KW, you can find yourself a compact fluorscent at Home Depot (or Costco, if yer lucky) for about $30 called fluorex.  They're REALLY bright, and only 65 watts.  Also, they don't give off too much heat.  You can rest your hand on it after it's been on all day.

The only catch is these don't come with a plug. You have to buy an extention cord, snip off the female end and wire the sucker up yourself. Not the most difficult task in the world, but just thought I'd throw that out there. I've wired up about 15 myself.

Hey schloaty, thx for your reply. I will TRY to find it at home depot. Although i don't see it at the website (www.homedepot.ca) .. I am still hoping that they sell it in Canada, because The "fluorex" compact fluorescent is made by Light of Americas :eek:P

Any canadian wanna share some tips hehe?

You don't have to get Flourex. I bought two 19 watt (eqivalent to 75 watts a piece) compact flourescent daylight bulbs at Home Depot for my 5 gallon terrarium and they've been working great.

Hey LLeopardGecko do you mind telling me where did you get your 5 gallon terrarium and what brand?

KayWhy, I honestly can't remember what brand it is. I took the sticker off when I bought the tank. I bought it at Petco for 10 or 12 dollars I believe.

Back