What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey
I have a question about growing plants outside. My Gowlist:
D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. sessifolia, H. Hetrodoxa x minor, N. Ventrosica, N. gracilis, d. madagascaris, 2 typical vft, 1 big mouth vft, S. judith?, S. minor, d. regia, d. borneo 8, d. scorpiodos, s. purpurea.

I have three 20 w lights over a 20L terrarium. All the plants are in their own tray. Temperatures are between 70 and 85 degrees. Humidity between 40-65%.

which of these plants should i move from my terrarium to outside? Which should i put in full sun? how much full sun? I have never tried outside growing, having just started w/ cps in september last year.

~jeff

Where do you live? What conditions are outside? You will be able to do any VFTs and Sarracenias and others depending.

I live in Delaware. I have several places that i can put plants, either getting full sun, half sun, partial sun, whatever. Its going to be raining or storming on and off for the next few days. But usually, its highs in the mid to high 80s with humidity in the mid 50s. If you want more detail, you can go to weatherchannel.com and put in 19977 zip code.

N. Ventrosica, N. gracilis and probibly D. capensis and D. spatulata can go outside in summer (or whenever it is warm).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captotterboy @ June 27 2005,7:17)]Hey
I have a question about growing plants outside.  My Gowlist:
D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. sessifolia, H. Hetrodoxa x minor, N. Ventrosica, N. gracilis, d. madagascaris, 2 typical vft, 1 big mouth vft, S. judith?, S. minor, d. regia, d. borneo 8, d. scorpiodos, s. purpurea.

I have three 20 w lights over a 20L terrarium.  All the plants are in their own tray.  Temperatures are between 70 and 85 degrees.  Humidity between 40-65%.

which of these plants should i move from my terrarium to outside?  Which should i put in full sun?  how much full sun?  I have never tried outside growing, having just started w/ cps in september last year.

~jeff
Personally, I wouldn't put any D. capensis, spatulata, or anything else that doesn't die back or form hibernacula outside. I can't speak for the other plants, but the afore-mentioned spread their seeds all over the place and contracted aphids for me last year. Those two in particular can stay on window sills all year round. BCK had trouble with aphids on his D. scorpiodes.

I am currently cultivating several Neps in hanging baskets with apparent success, but I have only been doing it since this month. Elgecko has two beautiful hanging baskets of N. hamata & ventrata in his kitchen, in front of glass doors. Kitchen humidity was 40%.

Definitely put any Sarracenias and VFT's outside!

My D. capensis are doing very well outside lots of new leaves, but no flowers so far.
D. spatulata is rocking tons of new leaves 2nd flower stalk on the way up. Forth flower of the 1st one just finished blooming today. It really took off once I put it outside.
Mine are outside in wisconsin we are having a little hot spell here, but conditions are normally close highs in the mid 80's night lows in the mid 60's. They have gone through some pretty good storms part are partially sheltered by the house.
They are on the deck and get full morning sun and bright shade upto 6pm or so.
Ofcourse I'll have to bring them in for winter... Wonder where I am going to put all these plants in winter...

I'm glad Jim stopped by here. Listen to him he lives fairly close (on a global scale).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally, I wouldn't put any D. capensis, spatulata, or anything else that doesn't die back or form hibernacula outside.

I think he is just meaning for the summer months...

Yeah I meant the summer months

Ok,
Since i havnt had any luck growing d. capensis in the terrarium, i think ill move that to the windowsill. Where should i put the Sarracenia and VFT outside? Morning sun than bright shade? Afternoon sun? All day sun? Oh yeah, and i live in a VERY high aphid area... should i just try windowsill instead?

Im helpless..... i know
jeff

Please use the window sill for those that don't need all the light they can get! D. capensis & spatulata do just fine on a SW window sill, all year round. ( A mon avis)

Back