What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First attempt

Hi All,
I'm a newbe setting up a vivarium.  I have a 90G tank (2' black cube with clear 1/2 sphere "bubbles" on the four sides.  Pic Attached)

My intent is to build an island in the center, with plants and frogs, and fish in the water around the island.  I have placed a  tub in the tank with rocks, coco block, and a little soil.   I have a small pump circulating and filtering the water.

I plan on adding some plants, and a few cheap frogs and lizards tomorrow.  Is there anything I should know before proceeding?  I have kept many marine aquariums, so I know how to handle the water, but I don't know what frogs and lizards are compatable.  Also, I would like to start with a few cheap (and hopefully locally available.  I'm in Austin, TX) plants.  Anything work that I can get from the local nursery?

If this first attempt works out, I plan on moving to Dart frogs and CP's.

Any pointers or advice would be appeciated.

Thanks.

Try home depot or lowes as they usually have carnivorous plants available, although they are usually not to healthy unless you catch them when they receive a new shipment. I don't know about some of the other questions you had, but I hope I was of some help to you.

Dewy

isn't petflytrap based out of Austin?

I found the fourm through a JungleSupply hit. Petflytrap didn't showup on my Austin search, thanks for catching that. I'll be sure to use them.

I have my basic setup working, no plants yet, but I am having a condensation problem on the bubbles. Without vertical surfaces it doesn't seem to flow off well. Is there a way to make the surface slicker without hurting anything?

Thanks.

Pothos could work.
I would start with small tree frogs or a more swimming frog(Leopard, Green, Bull). Lizards, Anoles would be could, but they don't need all that humidity and water, they could drown. Maybe sometype of House Gecko? Or try a PacMan frog. They love the humidty and dirt/water areas!

Back