What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circulating air in terrarium

Hi:

I am wondering if those "air stones" sold for aerating aquariums for water would be enough to circulate the air in a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium?

Diana, I like your creative thinking. I know that some people emplace the little fans that are in computers, in their terrariums. Airstones that are in water would be useful toward increasing humidity throughout the terrarium.

didn't PFT used to sell a product that did that?

petflytrap.com

I believe PFT did carry a product for some time that was an air-exchange system for terrariums. It took fresh air from outside and i believe added extra humidity, then had another tube for venting the older air in the terrarium out.

An airstone could possibly work, but to that effect if it's just hanging dry you could just use an air pump without the stone. The stone is only really useful for breaking the air up into smaller bubbles in water. I would think that if you're pushing air in with a pump it would create some sort of circulation.

Computer or small fans are definately a plus, especially if you can tweak the small fan to be solar powered. More outlets for more lights that way. ;) Then when the lights come on and the temps rise the fan will come on with them.

I solved the problem. I bought a screen top instead of a glass top. I'll have to cover it with saran wrap this winter to help keep the humidity in but for now the air is circulating and the birds are kept out.

Oh, my male cockatiel did start "tasting" some of my succulent plants. Was very glad the cps were protected with screen. All he can do is look at those.

That's kind of ironic actually, considering i'm thinking of buying a glass top to replace the screen top on my tank.
smile_n_32.gif
But for me it's a heat issue at the moment over an air circulation problem. I'll most likely just wire up some spare parts from the house later to solve the air circulation problem.

I'm so used to using glass that I never realized how much heat it keeps out from the lighting balasts.

Back