What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plants for terrarium?

G

Hi all,

I joined this forum because I'm interested in learning how to make a terrarium. I already have a tank with the bottom layers ready. I am just researching the appropriate type/size of plants for it. Last year I planted plants that outgrew it. This year, I'd like to plant something visually attractive that won't outgrow it's environment so quickly.

I have many questions...
About how many plants are needed to create a semi-full look in a 55 gallon (rectangular) aquarium?
Has anyone ever ordered the Tropical Starter set? How did you like it?
Is it too late in the season to find any decent plants locally?
How do I know what kind of plants can cohabitate?
How do I figure out how big each one will get?

Any advice, recommendations and commenst are welcome.

Josie2

1: however many you want! it's your work of art
2:nope
3:locally? what does that mean?
4:research. for example, you can never grow temperate species with tropical species all year. of course their are loopholes (like the warm-temperates). some plants need different soils, so you'll need to do some tinkering with that or plant them in pots
5:look at pictures! some nepenthes get huge, some (very few) stay small for a 55 gallon and won't make it look weird. you can also prune large ones to make them stay small. all pinguicula stay relatively small, as do most drosera. Cephalotus stay small and do great in terraria.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 18 2005,10:19)]3:locally? what does that mean?
I think she means is it too late in the season to buy CPs at local nurseries. Like Lowes grand center isn't going to have a bunch of annuals in fall. How to CPs do locally buying your own.

It isn't too late to find some CPs at local stores, but you'd be much better off just ordering plants online. You typically get better plants this way and you can get what you want without having to go driving store to store. Here's a list of the places I purchase plants from, all of which have great service and plants:

www.cobraplant.com (Sarrecenia Northwest)
www.flytraps.com (Cook's Carnivorous Plants)
www.blackjungle.com (Black Jungle Terrarium Supplies)

As for what plants to get for your 55 gallon, I'd say stick with Drosera (Sundews), Nepenthes (Tropical Pitcher Plants), and maybe some Pings (Butterworts). Check out Sarrecenia Northwest's "Tropical" section of plants. Everything in there grows great in terrariums under artificial lighting.

As for ordering from this site, I haven't yet but I'm sure they provide quality stuff. I have a friend who got a Nep from here and was very happy with it.

Hope this all helps and post again if you need more help!

if they have what your looking for i would order from here. Phil has good quality plants and you will be happy with the order. if you have a fairly wet spot in the tank i highly recommend Utrics. they generally arent much to look at but will form a nice ground cover and when they bloom, their flowers rival orchids in beauty. you generally dont see many for sale but if yah go to the trade forum and offer something up(doesnt have to be a CP), lots of us have tons and tons of different Utrics.

Hi everybody!

Thanks for the welcomes and the great information. Thanks Cassie for explaining. That is exactly what I meant although I'm not sure what "CP" means just yet. I have much to learn, but it looks like I'm in the right place for doing just that! I will print this out and get started on planning what to order.

Thanks for being here. I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed by all this as I did before posting.
smile.gif

Thanks again!
Josie2

Hi Josie2 (Is there a Josie1?)
smile_m_32.gif
CP satnds for Carnivorous Plants. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

My Home Depot still has Venus Flytraps, American Pitcher Plants, and Asian Pitcher plants in stock, so i'm reasonably confident that you will be able to find something somewhere. Also, a local nursery/greenhouse might have some. Futhermore, check out the forum called, "Carnivorous Plant Trading Post". People on our discussion forum are always offering plants and seeds. Don't think you have to anything to offer in return, as many are just willing to start new people off with a few easy ones to learn on. Have fun and ask away!

CP(s) = Carnivorous Plant(s)

*edit* Hmph, Jim's a little quicker on the draw... *edit*

Ya, everyone was most generous when I started off. So I am trying my best to be as well. I'll be sending out some Utricularia livida to someone else this saturday. If you would like alittle, PM (Private Message) your address to me and I can send you a 1" plug as well.

Dave

Generous really doesn'tsay enough about the folks here. I have been fortunate enough to recieve a bunch of plants for shipping and even seeds. I look forward tothe day when I can offer my own SASE giveaway. The Generosity of people here is unmatched in any other forum I am a part of by far. Yes other forums have people who will gift plants for shipping and sometimes no shipping, but the magnitude of people here far exceeds any of the other 5 sites I am a part of. As long as when you share someof the wealth when your plants start to take off I think its a great thing. Thank you everyone for making everyone feel welcome and getting folks off to a good start in CP's. I know everyone has been nothing but kind to me and helped me start my collection. I plan on returning the favor when I can. Thanks again everyone and Josie2 Just ask your question frequent the trading post and your collection will grow faster than you can imagine.

Hi again!

Wow, I never expected such generosity and kindness.

I am a little gun-shy because last year I tried to plant seeds using starter packs and single-handedly murdered hundreds of them. I don't know what I did wrong, but I get anxious when I don't know the exact right thing to do to keep them happy. I know I need to start with hardiest plants possible for this reason.

I still have to research all the suggested plants above and figure out a plan on paper. Then, I will be in touch.

Thanks so much!
Josie2

(I'm assuming there is a Josie "1" out there somewhere because it wouldn't let me register "Josie" as my name : -)

I can start you with some easy CP's if you are interested. Just shoot me (a PM).

Back