What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting query

• Thread starter zac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lights
I'm going to pick up some lights tomorrow and I need to know if these will be suitable:

Cool White

Flux/Light Output: 3 200 lumens
Concentration: 40 W
Hours: 20 000h
Colour Rating Index: 70 CRI
Colour Temperature: 4100 k
Length: 48" (same as tank)

Do the mounts for the lights have to be a specific brand. i.e. If i have 48" lights can i use any 48" mount?

Is it worth hunting down lights with a higher CRI? Lumens count?

Thanks in advance for your excellent responses,

Zac

sounds fine.

yes but you can't put no tubes in a vho ballast.

i would use them

Cool whites are fine. I grow my CPs and other tropicals solely under cool whites.

As for fixtures, any 48" will do; however, I would recommend those with built-in plugs. Otherwise, you'll have to splice a cord (with plug) onto those that don't. Both types can be found at home depot or lowes for <$20.

Good luck.

thx for the replies I'll try to find a mount with a plug but i know my basic wiring so i'll splice if needed.

thx again

z

They have 48" fixture at WalMart for $3.95

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it worth hunting down lights with a higher CRI? Lumens count?

I've been dealing with this question for awhile now. To save on money, half my bulbs are dedicated to high lumens while the other half I get I concentrate on Color Temp and CRI.

Oh, and 3200 is excellent lumen rating for a 48" fluorescent tube.

-Homer

Thx again guys I've put my lights up but I'm just wondering how you guys suspend your lights above your terrariums if applicable. Mine are on chains hanging on V's from the roof. Know any other ways

z

I've got some pics of my tank. Before i put my plants in i want to know if the lights are going to be suitable at this height or weather it's best to put a few layers of egg crate on the bottom and go from there:

Tank.jpg

oh and will that little fan be big enough to circulate air

You'll want your light no more than 4" from the tops of the plants for healthy growth otherwise you'll get "the stretch"

Joe

So would a stack of eggcrate be a good plan?

Back