What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are they enough?

I bought 2 42W CFLs for my 10g terrarium. The color temp is 2700K and the lumens are 2,600 per 42W CFL. Will this be enough light for a ten gallon terrarium?
Thanks,
dewy

That'll be plenty of light. I have roughly the same amount of light on my 10 gallons. By the way, are they daylight or warm white light? Daylight is the better of the two, but warm white light will do just fine.

I think that you must be know which is for what kind of CPs.

They are warm white.

Sorry, I mean what kind of CPs are you growing?

Mainly these sundews-
Byblis
liniflora(seedlings)

Drosera
adelae
burmannii (seeds)
capensis
capensis pygmy form seedlings
capensis narrow leaf
capensis albino
capensis red (seeds)
filiformis 'California Sunset' (cutting)
filiformis "Florida Giant" (cutting)
intermedia
regia 'big easy'
scorpioides (gemmae)
spatulata

Pinguicula
primuliflora

and also-

Utricularia
bisquamata (small flowered form)
livida
sandersonii
subulata

I think that should be OK for these. If for VFT , sure no good.
Below list should be put at the middle of the tank because they need more light than the others.
Byblis liniflora
D. filiformis 'California Sunset' (cutting)
D. filiformis "Florida Giant" (cutting)
D. intermedia
D. regia 'big easy'
D. scorpioides (gemmae)
D. spatulata

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sam @ Aug. 07 2005,8:23)]I think that should be OK for these. If for VFT , sure no good.
Below list should be put at the middle of the tank because they need more light than the others.
Byblis liniflora
D. filiformis ('California Sunset' cutting)
D. filiformis "Florida Giant" (cutting)
D. intermedia
D. regia 'big easy'
D. scorpioides (gemmae)
D. spatulata
Forgot to add, the filiformis 'California Sunset' is outside while the D.scorpioides died because of contaminated LFS. I am growing VFT seedlings under my old fluorescent grow light, but that is all.

For the seedlings, of couse no problems.

Beware the D. scorpioides , they need a lot of light and heat which equal to VFT. Otherwise they should be game over!

I also have this problem, my nepenthes are growing really good but my utrics only slowly die, my Sun Pitchers don't have a nectar spoon even though previous pitchers did and my vft's are almost completely green. I have a florescent growlight on top and an incandecent 75 watt lamp bulb on the side. I even covered most of the tank with aluminum foil. Is the problem the light, or somthing else?

for VFT and pygmy and some special CPs which need a lot of light.
I suggest you use HQI metal halide lamp.
I use  it for my reef tank.
The light is near the sunshine.
Beware the humidity and heat for the tank when used.
Recently , some people used T5HO lamp for the reef tank, it's working and which produce less heat than HQI lamp. Try to search a data by yourself.
But for me , I would like to use HQI. Because some CPs must need light and heat together.
data for ref.:
162240-0003-embed.jpg

162241-001-embed.jpg

162242-004-embed.jpg

162243-002-embed.jpg

Back