What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you keep your pets away from your plants?

I was wondering what you guys do to keep your pets away from your plants. I currently have a few plants (seedlings) under growlights open tray. I keep catching my cats near them and was wondering if there are good deterrants to keep them away? Thanks.

Ha, I used to use a locked door and another room. ;) Seems to be the best thing right there.

Not only are the plants in danger, but the cats would be as well. I do believe Dionaea along with some of the other plants to actually be a bit poisonous to felines. Honestly i'm not sure to what effect this poison has, from a belly ache to who knows what, all i know is it's a bad thing. ;)

Good luck in your search. Pet stores do in fact sell some pheremone products to keep cats away and to calm them down some, could look into that.

My cat attacks anything green and leafy with a vengence. Probably from all the fresh catnip i used to grow them.

I saw in another thread, similar to this one. I forgot who posted it, but if you give you cat a piece of an aloe plant, it most likely will stay away from most plants since aloe is bitter, but not poisonious and to give your cat only catgrass (I think that's the name or is it called petgrass?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Aug. 12 2005,12:47)]and to give your cat only catgrass (I think that's the name or is it called petgrass?)
Cat grass/pet grass is usually a mixture of wheat and oat seed, sometimes they even throw rye into the mix.

Aloe could definately work, but cat's do tend to get curious. I had some lucky bamboo and a snow rose serissa that the cat left alone for a month...then out of nowhere if he's near it, he chews it. not as bad as my cat though who would attack you to get to it when you were carrying it in.

Good one SarraceniaScott,thats what I was thinking.

Jerry

My dog could care less about my plants, but darn does he shed! I'm CONSTANTLY picking dog hair off my sundews
smile_h_32.gif

It's a shame that I love my dog, otherwise I'd shave him bald
smile_m_32.gif

So fun SarraceniaScott, i dont tink someting so agresive but is a good idea (jk), maybe the more pasific, natural and bets, is put a green room (plants only), i have 2 of that type, 1 for plats, 1 for fish, is pacific lol, see ya.

Zappafan, Wire is SOOOOOOOO unattractive. Bird netting works as well, and is less intrusive to the eye......

Back