What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently set up for myself a smallish (20L) terrarium, and after much consideration decided to order a pair of twin-tube light fixtures. They are made by the aquarium manufacturer and fit the tank perfectly. While waiting for the fixtures to arrive, I set a pair of clip-on utility lights with 100W-equivalent CF bulbs on top to keep my few plants going. That appears to have worked well.

The new fixtures were delivered and I set them in place and plugged them into the timer--so far so good. The T8 tubes included with the fixtures (17W) are "aquarium tubes". Will these tubes suffice, or should I look for something different (they are 24" tubes)? As of now I have a pair of Nepenthes (probably ventricosa), a D. capensis, a small VFT, some sort of Pinguicula, and a little pot of chubby, squat Sarracenia (purpurea?). The Sarracenia were an impulse buy--I figured if they thrive and outgrow the tank, then I'd try to move them outside into a minbog pot.

I say buy different bulbs. Aquarium bulbs typcially put out very little light, just to prevent algae from growing in regular fish tanks. Buy yourself a couple of cool white flourescent tubes (can be purchased at Home Depot or Wal-Mart), or if you're willing to spend a bit more, some full-spectrum aquarium tubes (they sell these at Petsmart and the like). Good luck!

Yeah try some coolwhites or growlights on the $hand.

I'll make a point to keep an eye out for some replacement tubes. The new fixtures didn't look as bright as I expected when I first plugged them in, and I assumed it was because they were designed for aquarium lighting, but I'm not yet up to speed on terrarium lighting for CPs. I definately want to keep my plants looking good as they do now.

Thanks for the help.

Back