What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes X?

I purchased this guy at the local hardware. At least it was labled as a Nepenthes... appears to come from Gublers Orchids.

I would sure appreciate it if someone could field some ideas as to what it might be.

It's been growing in this glass cloche for about 2 years now, seems to like the extreme humidity and no issues w/ the water standing at the bottom (that's small 'orchid bark' at the bottom of the jar).

Thank you,

- Mike

pitchernepenthes9ea.jpg

rainynepenthes5ex.jpg

happynepenthes3cy.jpg

I actually bought that same Nepenthes from Gubler's Orchids at a Home Depot this past summer. I would also like to know what species it is.

Great looking plant by the way
smile.gif
I like how you're growing it in that glass container.

Looks like N.judith finn IMHO.

Thanks Mitch.

I love the glass cloche, I would like to have more but it cost me a cool $54 at the local nursery! I believe it was intented for a violet or such. I only have to water the plant about once every two or three weeks... low maintenance for sure.

BTW, I live up in Sacramento where the average summertime humidity is ~20% (at 95F). I was worried the plant would cook like so much deli food in the cloche, but it seems to be very happy. It gets about 3 hours of direct sun in the mornings.

- Mike

I have the same plant. It didn't seem to like it in the greenhouse so I put it outside with the highlanders. It's really happy now.

I would love to post a picture of mine but I recently gave it unfavorable conditions and it died back quite a bit. It's very unhappy with me!

Today I clipped off all the dead foliage, moved it to a new growing area, and sprayed it with fertilizer. Hopefully it'll bounce back...*crosses fingers*...

So we've got a vote for N. Judith Finn. Anyone else? I posted a picture of mine back when I got it and I think the general concensus was N. maxima. Maybe I was misinformed...

I am not sure what it is exactly but it is not N. 'Judith Finn'
-Nick

It's not N. Judith Finn. If I recall correctly Gublers has 3 different plants they produce. Looks like you have the unknow N. maxima hybrid.

Tony

I have some of those I have been growing for over 6 years. The upper pitchers are really cool looking and fairly large for upper pitchers. I heard that it may be a maxima x alata hybrid, but I don't think anyone knows for sure. One peculiar trait I have noticed is that after it blooms, (male), the blooming vine dies within a year, but it seems to always produce 3 basals. I posted some pics of mine here:

Question from the new guy

The first picture I posted is actually a slightly different looking hybrid from Gubler, (I think), but it looks a lot like N. 'Gentle' - did Gubler ever sell these? - or maybe I got it from somewhere else.
The uppers on the second page with a cute little crab spider that was sharing the bounty have identical looking lowers like yours.

could it be N. x Mixta??

It is an UNKNOWN N. maxima hybrid. Gublers doesn't even know what it is. Could it be N. Mixta ... MAYBE It could also be any one of a dozen other hybrids (maybe a slight exaggeration but not by much). The point is it is unknown. Putting a name on it would be improper. Only in clear cases would I ever recommend a name for an unknow plant. Your best bet is to label it 'N. maxima hybrid'

Tony

Back