What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this S. minor

DSCN0424.jpg

Pardon the poor photo. Anyway, this is a Gubler plant which I originally thought was an S. minor(sold alongside some S. purpurea). However, over time the pitchers turned reddish and now the new growth is red(you can see it if you look closely in this photo).

DSCN0425.jpg

Also, this stuff here is not sphagnum right?
DSCN0428.jpg

And? So what is the problem? What are you asking. Is it supposed to be red? Must be!? Its red already. ??????
For a really great pic of a true all red minor, look in BobZ's sarracenia photos (google it) and look for the Berkely County, South Carolina red minor. Yours isn't even close to red after you check out that photo!
BTW, New growing leaves on most sarracenia are always red.

Interesting. I didn't think minor turned red so when the originally green plant started to change I doubted my ID.

Oh, no! Minors can turn red in winter too. Some grow with red caps, some have red lining the edges of their "windows", Some plants are diffused with red, and some are all red. Harder to find, but they may still be out there somewhere. Red is not a problem. If you find a colorless minor, no red anywhere, give me a call!!!

looks like a pure minor to me, you should see my georgia clone during the heat of the summer, gorgeous reds!!! and yeas that is sphagnum

Doesn't look like sphagnum to me, but another ground cover moss. Keep an eye on it. An occasional pic of it in about a month or so will give a better ID on the moss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 11 2006,11:47)]Doesn't look like sphagnum to me, but another ground cover moss. Keep an eye on it. An occasional pic of it in about a month or so will give a better ID on the moss.
OOOOHHH I looked at the thing and saw a head of sphag, but after bug here mentioned it didnt look like it i had to look closer to see if i was loosing ym cp eyes, instead of a full head of sphag that looks like some of the moss that grows among VFTs

Most sarr leaves start out vibrantly red, then they turn their natural colors once they're a few inches tall. That stuff don't look like sphagnum.

Carpet moss.
dewy

The moss looks closer to the sphag that grows on trees, not in bogs. I've used it a couple of times to line hanging baskets at school.

Back