What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stowaway Drosera - please ID!

This morning I found these wee two-pronged fellows in my D. burmanii pot. No idea what they could be. The burmaniis are in a closed tank together with some D. paradoxa (in bloom), a very small d. petiolaris and a D. dielsiana (as well as a Myrmecodia echinata and a N. bical 'Red Flush', but I think we can rule these out as the culprits.)

Any ideas as to what they might be?

Thanks very much in advance!

Hans
noiddrosera3large5jj.jpg

noiddrosera2large4ca.jpg

noiddrosera2large4ca.jpg

looks like a D. binata to me or it could be(highly unlikely though) a baby D. peltata.
alex

I would bet Twoton's bottom dollar that they are D. binata!

Yep. 'Tis a beenahtah. Silly me
smilie4.gif
) That's what you get when you play too much with your Nepenthes
smile.gif

The odd thing is, is that one year ago, in a Nep hanging basket of mine, I found the exact same thing seedling. I had no idea how it got there, since I didn't have any binata seeds. Maybe it came from someone else's collection or maybe it came from the soil media I bought. I just don't know. All I know is that the initial leaves look like s tuberous sundew and the next leaves had that halfmoon look to it. As it developed, it was apparent that it was a binata. Great species to have, very versatile and tough.

I spose if ya used New Zealand LFS or peat that was from New Zealand/Australia, some D. binatas could have been growing in the peat that was removed from there, and their seeds might have been in the peat.

-Ben

Back