What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknow Sarracenia

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey i got the sarr from Lowe's and i think it is S Minor but i rely just dont know. this pitcher is about 4in tall. sorry for the cruddy focus. my camera is only good for long range. the top is brown because of sunburn but it was all green when i got it.
DSC01321.jpg

EDIT here is a pic that is a little better but not as close it is the sarr to the far right
DSC01322.jpg

glider, the focus isn't bad. It's just that it focuses on the stuff in back. Put something right behind the pitcher, like a piece of paper, or your hand, and then the camera will focus better.

-Ben

ok thanks ill tak another pic tomarrow morning
alex

Looks like a minor hybrid. Possibly a young Dixie Lace.

That has the arched shape of a minor.

thanks guys! ill ask Bugbitingplants (i think that is where they came from). but since they only have S. Minor and No 'Dixie Lace' i think it might be just a very young S Minor. it is rely slow growing BTW if that helps.

S. minor in Lowe's? That would be wonderful! I better keep my peepers open..

Cheers,

Joe

Okay now lets take another look at the pitcher now about a month older? Have any?

Jim

yes i do and i think it is dixie lace! it has this beautiful red and white ornamental hood.
DSC01413.jpg

i have a huge new pitcher on the way. ill get a picture of that as soon as it opens.
Alex

My vote goes for 'Dixie Lace' the venation in the hood isn't typical for a pure S. minor which has spotted fenestrations .

Coincidently, last night I was rooting through the cpforums.org hosting site that I was using a couple years ago and found a picture I took that didn't have an ID. Is this a 'Dixie Lace" or the psittacina that used to have?

101_0170.jpg

take a look at My Bog post in the bog section and i thinnk there is a pict of one of these next to the VFTs. mine has some leaves over a foot long. Ver preety plant but some times some of the pitchers don't open all the way..

Jim

Do you know what it is? Would it be a Dixie Lace or a Psittacina?

Psitts are more recumbant.
looks like "Dixie Lace"to me.
Jest my 2 cents
Lois

I agree, looks like 'Dixie Lace' to me too....odd little plant it is too.

I no longer have either plant (that darn stream!), but just wanted to get a positive ID on it.

looks like mine Jim...but mine is more red and white. beautiful colors! im actually thinking it might be a possiblity that it is S. x Wriglyana(sp?)
Alex

Alex -

If the plant looks like the photos Jim has put up, then it's most likely a 'Dixie Lace.' However, if it really doesn't have the yellowish green background color in the pitcher tops and hoods, then you are probably dealing with a tissue cultured variety of S. x wrigleyana called S. 'Scarlet Belle.' It is very commonly available

Take a look at my Scalet Belle order page at http://www.houstonherp.com/SxScarletBelle.htm
and see if it resembles what you have.

Hope this helps!

well thats what i have then Houstenherp. mine open lids though. ive only had one pitcher that didnt open. strange. but then again it could be due to some nosy fingers from my brothers...
smile.gif
. its a beautiful plant though. can you tell me this....is there a diference between regular S. x Wrig and 'Scarlet Belle"?
Alex

Glider -

Welllll - We'll have to get into some nomenclatural stuff here, but I'm an educator at heart!

When you call something "Sarracenia x wrigleyana," this refers to ANY hybrid cross between a Sarracenia leucophylla and a Sarracenia psittacina. Take pollen from a leucophylla and use it to pollinate a psittacina flower, OR pollen from a psittacina and use it to pollinate a leucophylla flower, and all the offspring would be considered Sarracenia x wrigleyana, no matter how different they look!

BTW - the 'x' in the middle of the name simply means 'hybrid,' so you could say that this name means "the Sarracenia hybrid named wrigleyana."

Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle' is a specific clone of Sarracenia x wrigleyana. ALL the 'Scarlet Belle' plants that you find out there are from the exact same parent plant, and they have been produced in bulk by tissue culture labs. Sometimes people find unique plants in nature and name them (this is the case with Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson,' a named variety of a naturally growing hybrid between S. flava and S. leucophylla). Sometimes people create manmade hybrids, and select the nicest of them to develop into named varieties (like S. 'Judith Hindle' or S. 'Dixie Lace').

I hope this helped. I guess you could say that Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle' is a Sarracenia x wrigleyana, but not all Sarracenia x wrigleyanas are Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belles'!!!

Back