What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknow Sarracenia

Thanks for that explination HoustonHerp. That cleared alot of things up for me.

Houstenherp: I know all about Cultivars and such...but how can you tell if it is 'Scarlet Belle' and not a S. Wrig with a more psittacina influence?
Alex

With many of these named cultivars, the only way to assure that you are getting the 'real deal' is to get the plant from a reputable source. With something like 'Scarlet Belle,' they are so commonly available that I can't imagine someone trying to pass off something else as 'Scarlet Belle.'

Now if we were talking about a rare high dollar cultivar , something like S. 'Leah Wilkerson,' (at least from what I saw in the bidding wars during the NASC auction!) then I would be VERY careful of the source to ensure that you get what you pay for.

BTW - the 'Scarlet Belle' plants in my outdoor bog are monsters...almost two feet across, with heads the size of golf balls. These make nice low-growing additions to a backyard bog!

Good growing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Houstonherp @ July 29 2006,10:23)]With many of these named cultivars, the only way to assure that you are getting the 'real deal' is to get the plant from a reputable source. With something like 'Scarlet Belle,' they are so commonly available that I can't imagine someone trying to pass off something else as 'Scarlet Belle.'

Now if we were talking about a rare high dollar cultivar , something like S. 'Leah Wilkerson,' (at least from what I saw in the bidding wars during the NASC auction!) then I would be VERY careful of the source to ensure that you get what you pay for.

BTW - the 'Scarlet Belle' plants in my outdoor bog are monsters...almost two feet across, with heads the size of golf balls. These make nice low-growing additions to a backyard bog!

Good growing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Awesome! mine now has 2 growth points and the largest one is about 5in across.
Alex

Back