What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the naming conventions of CP's?

I'm really new to growing CP's and would like to know how the naming conventions work. I see  D. capensis, N. ventrata, S. leucophylla, P. potosciensis etc but don't understand why there is a D, N, S, P etc before each one.
smile_l_32.gif

The letters are abbreviations for the genus each of the species belong to. the genera (with common name) you list are:
Drosera (sundews), Nepenthes (tropical pitcher), Sarracenia (pitcher), and Pinguicula (butterwort).
Plants are generally listed with their latin names--genus first, then species. You also might see them listed with their common names like Sundews vs. Drosera
Hope this helps!
Peter
cool.gif

Ok, thanks... that helps
biggrin.gif

And technically, though most have have been lazy about it, the scientific name is italicized. e.g. Drosera binata. Then are the cultivars.....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

bringing it back....its also easier to write Nepenthes vs tropical pitcher plant or sarracenia vs north american pitcher plant.
Alex

I think "north american pitcher plant" and "tropical pitcher plant" are tacky laymans terms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Sep. 20 2006,6:36)]... Plants are generally listed with their latin names--genus first, then species. . .
This is a common misconception, that the second part of the binomial is the "species" name. When in fact, only the genus and specific epithet (second descriptive part of a species name), together comprise the "species" name. Which is why it is called a binomial system.

See: "Article 23.1. The name of a species is a binary combination consisting of the name of the genus followed by a single specific epithet in the form of an adjective, a noun in the genitive, or a word in apposition, or several words, but not a phrase name of one or more descriptive nouns and associated adjectives in the ablative (see Art. 23.6(a)), nor certain other irregularly formed designations (see Art. 23.6©). If an epithet consists of two or more words, these are to be united or hyphenated. An epithet not so joined when originally published is not to be rejected but, when used, is to be united or hyphenated, as specified in Art. 60.9." of the ICBN (International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.

You can check out the entire code at the link above, but these rules only apply to plant taxonomy as it applies to plants in general and mostly to plants still in the wild. There are other rules that expand on these rules, and they are applied to cultivated plants, most specifically.

Most CP plant names can be found in the CP Database.

I can add that when writing, the first mention of the plant name should be spelled in full and subsequent usage of the name may have the genus name abbreviated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 16 2006,7:53)]I can add that when writing, the first mention of the plant name should be spelled in full and subsequent usage of the name may have the genus name abbreviated.
Dawnstar tamlin....

D. tamlin

biggrin.gif

and then if you're getting REALLY formal, put the last name of the person who gave it its name.
so:

Dawnstar tamlin Dawnstar

I think the year it was named, too, in parentheses..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 18 2006,2:18)]and then if you're getting REALLY formal, put the last name of the person who gave it its name.
so:

Dawnstar tamlin Dawnstar

I think the year it was named, too, in parentheses..
And if it's a cultivar, you can get something like:

Dawnstar tamlin 'Lavendar Dawn'
smile_l_32.gif

You're all having a field day with this aren't you
smilie4.gif

and confusing me in the process  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mozie @ Oct. 18 2006,7:50)]You're all having a field day with this aren't you
smilie4.gif

and confusing me in the process  
biggrin.gif
LOL! In the immortal words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive: "You Aint Seen nothin' Yet!" check out this topic:

Topic about nothing

OMG, I forgot all about that topic... I was supposed to make beet stuffed nepenthes. I gotta get on that! Thanx for the reminder Jim.

what it all boils down to is humans' attempts to give names and descriptions to the natural world is no match for how beautifully complex it all is.
smile.gif

and if you see something like: (random, arbitrary example off the top of my head)

Nepenthes alata (Hort ex. Veitch)

That means that Hort named the species, but may have placed it in the wrong category or given it an improper name, and Veitch fixed it. Or maybe its the other way around? haha. You won't encounter that unless you are reading some (probably) technical botanical texts like species descriptions and whatnot.

The reason the binomial is so great, is that, if you refer to a species just as "sibuyanensis", it could be a Nepenthes, or a bush, or a tree, or a mammal, or a frog, or a...
Which is why the genus is always attached, so you know the exact subject of conversation

Back