What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help id this nep

Hi all,
wife bought me a new nep for my b-day (40th) from a local nursery and Im not sure what it is so Im hoping you can help:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Mattdp/DSC00055.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Mattdp/DSC00054.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Mattdp/DSC00052.jpg

Im guessing maxima.
I have it getting morning sun only hanging in covered patio, is this enough?
Thanks!

So far Im not having much luck w sundews in S Fl, however my flytraps and sars are doing great (if I can keep the caterpillars and birds away from them).
Thanks!

plz? thats is not at all what I wrote in the subject line, weird!

HI MD,

I edited your thread topic, I hope you don't mind.

My best guess it that it's N. x 'Gentle.' It's not Miranda, as the peristome isn't right, but it's otherwise so similar - it also looks almost exactly like my gentle, but mine is smaller, so I'm not 100% sure.

I am going to have to disagree with Dave. That is definitly a 'Miranda'

N. X Miranda, surefire. Has a bit more N. northiana influence in it. I'm moving this to the ID plants forum as well.

Great, thanks! Miranda?
Off to do some research...

N. Miranda it is.
MD Potter, what would you like to know about it?

I had an earlier topic about some info.

Are you guys sure? I will defer to your experience, but my Miranda has a .....er...pointy peristome. The ones pictured are round all the way around, more like my gentle.... Pitchers also seem more slender than on my Miranda - though I suppose that could be because my Miranda is older, now that I think about it....
rock.gif

Well Trent, glad u asked!

I live in super sunny SFl and am having mixed success trying to grow various cps. So far Im doing ok (been growing since about march/april 06) with my vfts and a couple of sarrs, and I have a Nep ventrata from Lowes that is doing pretty well. I have however killed off all my sundews (adelae, binata, multifade, dichotoma, the last 3 seemed to be fine for about 5 months then they started dying off and not growing back).
Dont care much about the dews though, but I love the neps and want to get optimal growth/traps.
Main problem is finding a place to hang them with the right amount of sunlight. I had the ventrata on the south facing front of my house hanging under a window shutter with bushes and trees shading it but it would still get some direct sun late in the day, but lots of growth and new traps, however they seem to start browning up at the top after only a week or two, then after the top browns down to the narrow point of the neck of the pitcher then it seems to stay that way for the next month or so before it conitnues to brown up the rest of the way. So Im not sure if this is normal or they need more shade or what ... which brings us to the Miranda.
Not wanting to burn or brown the massive pitchers, I dont want to risk whats going on with the ventratas and so have hung the Miranda in my north facing back patio (covered, screened) on the east end so it gets morning sun (filtered only by patio screen) and then just indirect light the rest of the day, and even so I wonder if this is too much light cause the morning sun lasts 2-3 hours and is pretty much direct... or is it too little, or both: too much in the morning, too little the rest of the day.
I have now moved my ventrata to hang next to the Miranda on the back patio and am really looking for advice on what would be best for both, but the Miranda concerns me greatly because I dont want to over or under cook the massive and what seem to be very slow growing pitchers, and I also dont want to stunt it.
I am spraying both with distilled water pretty much daily (more diligent admittedly since I got the miranda) and am considering (if too much sun is the issue) hanging another strip of screen at that end of the patio to double up the sunlight filtering.
Any other growing tips would be appreciated too:)
Thanks!

Back