What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

veitchii x stenophylla....plus truncata?

I received this plant a year ago as a gift, labelled "veitchii x stenophylla". As it's growing larger, so are my doubts about its parentage. The hairs on the leaves could point to a veitchii parent, the pitcher shape and color could mean there's stenophylla involved....but what about these truncated leaves? Is there a (veitchii x stenophylla) x truncata out there?

nepenthesveitchiixstenofu1.jpg

nepenthesveitchiixstenowd5.jpg

nepenthesveitchiixstenoyn0.jpg

nepenthesveitchiixstenocv9.jpg

Looks a lot like N. fusca 'Sarawak' to me, but I'm not really an avid Nep identifier.

-Ben

Well it's pretty young still. Sure looks alot like I would expect from N. veitchii x stenophylla at this stage. N. veitchii can have very truncate leaves.

Tony

Yeah. But the lids do looks a lot like that of N. fusca 'Sarawak', and so does the speckling in the throat.

-Ben

Considering how young the plant is I could also find an equal number of traits that do not look like N. fusca Sarawak... the peristome, the color of the leaf midrib, tendril color etc. I could also find dozens of other young Nepenthes that have similar lids and speckles. My point is, it is wayyyy too young to make a determination that it is something else than what it is labelled because young Nepenthes characteristics often fit a wide range of possible alternatives. The only thing you can do with a plant this small is decide if it ISN'T what it is labelled and there are no defining characteristics to reject the label as it stands. Hans was considering that possibility based on the more truncate aspect of the new leaf. The leaf we see however is perfectly within the possibility of the proposed hybrid because N. veitchii is capable of a truncate leaf.

Hope that helps,
Tony

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I'm aware that it's too young for proper ID, but when that truncated leaf came out, I panicked
smile.gif
I'll leave it labelled veitchii x steno for the time being, then.

Thanks again, y'all!

Hans

Back