What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes Ping ID

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
According to the sticky above, I'm guessin these are Pinguicula primuliflora.
The first plant I got today, it was looking so healthy that I just couldn't pass it up anymore. There's even a crazy little plantlet growing on a leaf??
LowesPing1.jpg

LowesPing2.jpg

LowesPing3.jpg

This one I got at the start of winter, as a 'clearance sick plant.' It grew a bunch of small leaves which I'm curious if it's gone into is dormancy stage.
Do you think both of these are P. Primuliflora's?
LowesPing4.jpg

Go Go Canon Macro Mode! :banana2:
-Nate

Yes, they both appear to be Pinguicula primuliflora, which, by the way, does not have a different growth form during "dormancy". It just grows more slowly when subjected to conditions similar to those it experiences in its natural habitat. The plant in the second photo appears to be ailing. Usually once these plants of the S.E. USA look like the plant in the second photo, they are generally not long for this world. Though they do sometimes recover.

The second one was injured due to my ignorance while unpacking it from its cube. It was pulled from the soil. I figured well we'll see what happens and just plucked it back in. It's been about a month and a half now and I can see it grew roots going back into the moss.

So I thought that it just had it's growth stunted, however it's growth has seems to to have stopped, but there is this 'ball' that showed up in the middle. Thought it might be a flower getting ready to make it's move.

Compared to the other one though, it's just night and day.

I'm curious how to bring both of these into dormany now or even if they should this season.

Oy, the pings...
Nate.

Leave them alone. They will do well without being forced into dormancy, which, as Joseph pointed out, isn't a true dormancy, but more semi-dormant. Slowed growth, but it won't stop in winter unless they freeze. Then they most likely would die. Plantlets from the leaf tips of P. primuliflora is a plus, but in my experience, this happens as a result of growing stress of some kind. When growing in prime conditions, I notice rare plantlet growth to NO plantlet production. However, if they dry down, in danger of some form of sickness, not satisfied with growing conditions, they can produce prolific plantlet growth.

I have to disagree with Bugweed on one point. My primuliflora constantly produce plantlest and reproduce. They take over any pot I place them in. And...they are healthy. I know this because they flower accordingly and don't die. I grow them very wet...almost submereged. They grow like this in their natural habitat. Unlike Sarracenia...they are not susceptible to rot (at least not in my experiences).

Manny

yeah, both of my mature P. primuliflora constantly produce plantlets at the tips of their leaves, and from what I uderstand with no ill effects

I always felt like P. primuliflora was the D. adelae of the Pinguicula genus :)

JustLikeAPill...I absolutely agree! I've always thought that. I wish a few other CP would do that.

I never said they were not happy with their growth, just that the growing streeses they were under made them produce plantlets. I have the ones in my circulating bogs not producing plantlets at all. When they were in the tray system, they produced plantlets like there was no tomorrow! Still growing, producing flowers, and looking good. Still, whatever stresses that cause them to produce plantlets were there, that stress was removed when they moved to the circulating bog. It is in NO way they are unhealthy and ready to die, though that is one reason for the plantlet production, but some certain stresses cause them to. It does not mean they will die in the naxt day, week or month. I speak in general terms, but I do know, if they grow in conditions they like, 100%, they will stop plantlets so there is less competition, or to signal they are way happy. No Big Deal! (I am NOT the last word in Ping's! Just my observations.)

You think you're better than us don't you?:poke: Just kidding. You certainly could be right. I, by no means, provide them with 100% the best conditions. But their happy. They are actually the easiest Ping for me to grow. I can't grow pumila worth a crap...and it grows in my area!

I abuse my plants. Sometimes I put stress on them on purpose to get flower or clone production kicking in.

If you look at a P. primuliflora leaf it looks like a green tongue :0o:

Back