What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii or D. sessilifolia?

This little guy has been growing in my U. subulata pot for about 4 months or so. This plant is about the size of a nickel in diameter and has not flowered yet. Here are two pics of the plant in question.
Thanks,
Tyler

P1050899.jpg

P1050891.jpg

you will have to wait till it flowers.
D. burmannii - white flowers
D. sessilifolia - pink flowers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

i don't think, it's that easy. The flower colour might be of help, but it is definitively not a definig character (i have seen pinkish flowering Drosera burmanni). In my opionion, the easiest way to distinguish these two plants is to look at the styles. Here are two pictures, that compare the flowers of these two plants:

Drosera burmanni

Drosera sessilifolia

hope, this helps!

Christian

Last edited:
i have a D. burmannii with pinkish flowers. D. burmannii has more triangular leaves an D. sessilifolia has rounder(i think...)
Alex

glider are you sure that it's a D. burmannii then?

This looks like my D. burmannii red when it's not in full sun.

If it's a volunteer, I think D. burmannii is more likely=it's more common.

:-D

Cheers,

Joe

Hi,

Drosera sessilifolia is not really uncommon anymore (at leat in my part of the world). I think, the safest way to identify the plant is to wait for the flower. As already said, the laef shape is slightly different too, but for me it is hard to distinguish between these two species just because of this.

Btw, i consciously write D. burmanni with just one i! I do not like, that many post are edited just because of wrong names.

Christian

Drosera burmanni (Vahl) D. burmanni and D. sessilifolia are often confused, especially since hybrids of the two are common in cultivation. D.burmanni: leaves yellow-green, more triangular, flowers white, flower scape often with a curve at the base. D.sessilifolia: leaves orangish-yellow, more rounded, flowers pink, flower scape erect.
^^^^^ from BobZ's photo finder. it is spelled with only one "i". i took some pictures of my D. burmanni today.
the leaf:
Leaf.jpg

the flower:(pinker in real life. its also pink around the edges..)
Flower.jpg

the flower stalk. dosent come straight up like D. sessilifolia and does curve at the base.
FlowerStalk.jpg

Alex

That's a lot of dew. Nice picture! Sorry I have nothing to add.

xvart.

Yes my Burmannii has more triangular leaves. :)

Back