What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that plant! XD

Hey ppl! It's been a couple of years since my last post. Other than that let's get down to the topic. :3

The other day I went to the nearby greenhouse cuz' my mum wanted to buy some ornamental ceramic stuff... So long story short: the lady from the greenhouse was giving away what she called an "odd orchid" which turned to be a nepenthes. It was in a bad shape, or so I think. It was being hanged on the shed right under the sun...roasting.

So here are the pictures:
DSC06585.jpg

DSC06595.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06593.jpg

Hiya Andenes

Good to see you back. :)

I'm no nep experty by any means but my guess would be N. x 'Gentle'. Its very hard to ID a nep (at least for me) when the pitchers are so small like that. But its spotted like N. x Gentle and also that is a very popular nep for garden shops to sell.

Someone else might want to weigh in on this. Also you can always check out BobZ's site where has a gazillion photos of Cps. That's a great aid for identification. :) I can't recall the addy off hand but if you look in the forums Articles sections, there is post titled something like "Looking for photos" and that has the link to the site.

------------------
Thought I'd add that N. 'Miranda' is very similar. Both of these plants can be found in garden shops often in those white hanging baskets. I have one myself (Gentle).

Last edited:
Looks like a 'Miranda' to me. 'Gentle' is more brown speckeled than red.

No no no! It is most definitely some sort of "odd orchid!" LOL. Good luck getting it back to health!

xvart.

Lol xvart...if I had a nickel for everytime I heard that...

Its a miranda look a like probably with the same species... N.gentle dont have red speckles, and gentles pitchers and leaves is also a little furry.
Hey someone should make a sticky with garden center neps.???
Then we wouldnt have to Identify the same nep over and over and over and over and over..yeah you get the point.
It would be a lot easier then.
I cant do this myself as I dont have a camera :(
Maybe someone may contribute with some pics ?

P.S no offence to anyone.

Yeah, that's deffinately a N. miranda

Yaaaaayyyyyyyy!!! XD So at least we have a lead. Well Imma' give it a couple of weeks to see if it develops a bigger more mature piture. By the looks of it...it might be a 'Miranda' after all. Pluto mentioned that the 'x Gentle' has little hairs on the leaves and pitchers, but the leaves on my plant aren't hairy at all. But it also confuses me to find pictures of the 'gentle' with immature pitchers identical as the ones found in my plant.

The leaves on my plant are very wide and hard...dunno if this might help. Thanks everybody. :3

Hey ppl, just dropping by with more pictures to see if it can help out. They've been growing slow but big, and they're very different from one another...

This one seems like an upper pitcher:
DSC06721.jpg

And this one seems like a lower one:
DSC06720.jpg

I don't think my miranda had hair...

Cool plant and I totally dig your "Republicans for Voldemort" thing on your myspace lol. Puerto Rico must rock. I'd totally live there if I could speak Spanish well :( Why don't they get a vote in congress? That's BS. And I'll get back on topic and stop ranting lol

Some large lowland hybrid...

I don't think it's a Rafflesiana, the leaves are huge and thick, then again I've only owned two types of rafflesiana...so maybe i'm speaking nonsense. :3

Post a pic of an open pitcher.
Also I still think its "miranda" :p

I'll try as soon as they're fully developed. XP

It's here!!! Finally the pitchers opened (and man did they take their sweet time), so here they are:
The lower pitcher
DSC06822.jpg

The upper pitcher
DSC06828.jpg

Thanks for helping.

Holy crap! That certainly looks a ton better than your first pics. lol. Very nice pitchers!

xvart.

But what are they???

N. x 'miranda'

Back