What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another Lowe's rescue Nepenthes...

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
This is a Lowe's rescue Nepenthes. Variety unknown.

It has but a single pitcher and it's only an inch long right now.

This should be an easy ID for all you Nepenthes-maniacs out there...

Need to know if it's a highland or a lowland, so I have an idea as how to treat it.

Thanks for the help!

unknownNepenthes.jpg

Looks like Judith finn.
Its intermediate.
though some pics of the whole plant may contribute to a more accurate identification.

Good point.

It's rather a "floppy" plant. Leaves are like Basset hound ears... ;)

Plants006b.jpg

the leaves shouldn't be too floppy, but odds are it is going through some shock from being in the cube for an while. Odd's are its just another Nepenthes 'ventrata' an alta x ventricosa, really common.

Hard to tell till it gets a little bigger.

i also say judith finn. N. ventrata and ventricosa pitchers dont have wings. or at least like this one.
Alex

It is easier to ID neps when they are bigger.

N. ventrata lower pitchers do have small wings.

Looking at the pitcher shape I might suggest it is a nepenthes coccinea?

It also looked sorta like N. x 'Judith Finn' to me at first glance, and by seeing the small hairs that outline the leaves in the second pic, it reminded me a lot of my N. x 'Judith Finn', because it has these same hairs, while my N. x ventrata does not.

-Ben

Does Lowes ever sell N sanguinea? I have a nep that looked enough like my little sanguinea that I assumed that that was what it was. Now I'm not so sure....

Looks like some crazy insane hybrid.... Good luck :)

that looks nothing like a ventrata or a coccinea.

Judging from leaf shape and way it is unfurling, tendril attachment/length, and the size/position of the wings, thats judith finn.

The pitcher shape is a bit off, but hey, neps have polymorphic pitchers (especiallyw ehn that young)

but its a judith finn hands down

I'm most certain I had one just like this when she was a baby...I just can't remember well which was... It's certainly not a x coccinea ( had one and it happened to be my favorite...mum killed it...), but Imma' have to go with x Judith Finn or x Ventrata. This is also a wild guess...but it reminds me of a truncata in some way...

Thanks guys!

After doing some Google image seaches; my little Nep does look like the Judith Finns I've seen online.

Gonna re-pot that little scamp this weekend.......

What are some of your favorite Nep soil recipes?? I've read a lot on CP soils lately. What bark is used in Nep soils? Is bark really necessary for Neps?? Is it mixed in or layered at the bottom of the pot for drainage??

Thanx! :)

The bark is often mixed into the mix. Orchid bark is quite good. But if you can get your hands on some cork its even better IMO because its airy and not as heavy as other kind of bark.
A mix of Peat/perlit (50/50) is good. (you can change the perlit against some bark,clay pellets everything really which gives the soil some airiation and drainage.)
Dont use sand as its to dense.
Or you can just go with pure live spaghnum or LFS.

Glider: small N.ventratas often has small wings.
But the leaves are a little fuzzy so its probably not a ventrata.

I have some funky mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, LFS, orchid bark and live moss. Sand has been known to sneak in on occasion as well. It isn't quite the "deluxe" recipe that is in the "Savage Garden" but it is made up of many of the same ingredients. The ratios vary.

Back