What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most beautiful weed I've seen in a while

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
SO I was examining my mexi-pings when I came across a weed that I just hadn't bothered to remove. It's amazing! and I've never seen it flower. Anyway, I have no idea what it is. Any help? I got the plant from pyro.

July_13_07%20001.jpg

edit: sorry for the blur, but the colors are mostly right

I can not see the pic nor do I recall what it is I sent you but I am glad you like it :)

Here is the picture..

wesping1.JPG

odd, when I posted, it was there. Then when I rechecked, it wasn't. I'd repost but VFT guy took care of it for me.

Very nice looking weed! May all of our weeds look as good!

Well now I really am stumped. I have zero idea what it is. In fact, I do not think I have seen its like before. You sure I sent that to you Wes???

The leaves look like some sort of succulent to me. I say you post a few more pictures at different angles.

Pyro, sure, youre the only one that has sent be a butt-load of ping hybrids. I have you marked as the sender. I guess seed could have fallen out of another plant I have, but this pot is the only it's come up in. I'll try to get some more pics in the next day or so.

~Wes~

Edit: the flower only lasts a day. :(

Huh!?!? Well I guess it is some type of interloper but for the life of me I can not tell what kind. I do have a plant that pops up in my bogs that has similar foliage but I have never seen it flower so I can not say for sure. I do have portulaca running rogue in a few of my pots but the leaves are all wrong for that as portulaca has thinner leaves and the bloom has many many more petals.

I might have to let one of the bog raiders bloom just to see if it is the same...

It is a purslane, which is a portulaca. Originally a weed, it has also been cultivated as a garden plant and is also edible. See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

Seed could have come from a neighboring plant somewhere?
Peter.

A bit late but here is the portulaca that is rogue in my pots.

Note the pineate leaves

P7170002.jpg

P7180007.jpg

And the multi-petal blooms

P7180004.jpg

P7180005.jpg

Not really like the flat leaved, standard blooms on Wes' plant...

also a bit late, but it is the same genus, pyro your plant is portulaca grandiflora, also known as moss rose.

the leaves look almost like a jade plant, but it couldn't be that... jade doesn't flower that young or grow that fast. And the flower is HUGE!

wow that's amazing
if you get seeds
i'll trade you anything on my grow list lol
well when i put my grow list up

ilovebutterwo, the seeds of both portulaca grandiflora and P. oleracea are easily obtained from many online seed sources. They are common in horticulture, so they are pretty cheap. portulaca grandiflora seeds can be found in your local kmart/walmart seed packets in the spring.

Back