What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardware Store Nep

juliethegr8t

Instant Addict
Finally got a few photos of my unknown Nep. :) It's hard to believe that when I got this a month or so ago it was only 4 leaves, limp and almost dead, with no pitchers! I'm so proud of how it's doing now!! :-D As you can see, the leaves have blushed to a gorgeous copper/red, and I have 2 pitchers open with 2 more almost there.

I apologize that the pictures aren't better, but these were the best that I could get.
Picture016.jpg

The yellow-green is really more of a lime green, don't know why the camera interpreted it as that color! You can also see some of the little tiny hairs on the leaf below the pitcher (all the leaves are slightly hairy like that).
Picture020.jpg

I've had a few suggestions but nobody has seen a picture until now. If it's some random hybrid, so be it - but I thought I'd run it by you all! I love it, in any case. :)

That's a 'Judith Finn'.

I assume the red coloring on the peristome (and some widening/flaring) will develop with maturity?

Even though it's common, I love it. Thanks. :)

Usually, one sees an N. ventrata at a Lowes or a Home Depot, but my first Nep happened to be an N. sanguinea. Here are pics of a ventrata and a Judith Finn, side by side:

Strausplants0241.jpg

This is the sanguinea:

N_sanguinea.jpg

This is a ventrata pitcher:

AF001201.jpg

This are bad pics of the Judith Finn:

AF001501.jpg

AF001401.jpg

And one more of the ventrata, for comparison:

AF001301.jpg

Ur's is a 'Judith Finn' for sure! Looks like you've got it to recover well

judith finn is a great beginner CP! it was my first as well, and has grown like crazy. the peristome will get deep, deep red with time, and will flare in a uniform (not ruffled) curl.

this is a good comparison of young vs mature judith finn pitchers!
flame.jpg

Back